Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

high performance engine rebuild kit for 2.0

5K views 13 replies 5 participants last post by  rhumen 
#1 ·
could someone recomend an engine rebuild kit for a 2.0 4 cyl...it needs to be high performance because im going to run turbo and nitrous eventually...thanks alot...TP

#2 ·
Custom Custom Custom....their are rebuild kits for the 2.0 but they are far from "High Performance". You will have to order custom pistons forged pistons w/ desired Compression Ration (one of which will work with boost), you will need forged rods, stronger wrist pins, gapless rings, among having the block over bored to your desired overbore..(ie.. 020, .030, .040). There is ALOT of work in rebuilding or rather "building up" a motor for turbo. How much PSI do you plan to run, you better plan for engine management, if you are serious buy a Haltech E6k (serious $$$ there). Its not going to be cheap....trust me I know for a fact. have any other questions feel free to ask.

Josh

#4 ·
SKarpenz said:
alright...some quick searching got me to a kit that 'importperformanceparts.net has...but how do i know if its for the I4, it doesnt specify...argh, this is irritating
Exactly the company i was reffering to for the complete rebuild, but I would go with something different. Its not a rebuild worth of boost IMO.

Josh

#5 ·
cost doesnt matter right this minute...im buying an engine from hughes soon and im going to get all the work done to it so as i can still drive my car...my uncle is a great mechanic and said he can help me where i need it while building this, so labor doesnt matter...but i need specifics, from people who may have experience, ive searched forums for it, but nothing helps really...ive already got a turbo kit lined up, somewhat (crooks is helping me out with that) give me some numbers and products here, please...im clueless as to psi and compression and overbore...please help:confused:

#6 ·
*Turbo Kit: Bewst Performance

*Forged Pistons (once again price dependent on your over bore size and your desired compression ration) w/ Full Floating Writ Pin = from $700 - $1500

*Forged Rods (do you plan to change to stock stroke?) = From Pauter $720

*Block OverBore = $150 (Machine Shop Must Do This)

*Head Work (dependent on what you want done to it)= as much was $2,000 - $3,000

* Gapless Piston Rings (A Must Have For Turbo'd cars) = $300

*Haltech E6K (Supreme Engine Management for Turbo'd cars) = $1200

These are just a few things, all prices may differ dependent on which brand you choose, what machine shop you choose, and how strong you want the motor to be.

Josh

#7 ·
SKarpenz said:
alright...some quick searching got me to a kit that 'importperformanceparts.net has...but how do i know if its for the I4, it doesnt specify...argh, this is irritating
It does specify, its for the FS03, you look at the engine name. The kit runs from $200 to $430

PROBE
FS
1991cc(121.5")
1993-97
16 VALVE; DOHC 4; F.INJ.
83mm(3.278")
92mm(3.62")

Thats the one

#8 ·
oh...yeah, your right, it did specify, guess its just too late at night for me...but thanks for all the info...by the way, i want the engine to be a monster...so im not going to skimp on the quality of any products or the extent of engine modification...i may sound like another "i want a 300 HP car" oh, but i can only spend so and so"...forget that, i realise this is probably going to cost me out the ass, but my uncle and i can do it, i know it...and i dont have any sort of HP goals, im not really worried about that, im going to mod this 4 banger to the fullest extent then add turbo and nitrous...i dont care what people may say and i dont care if there havent been many people to do this...so if anyone has any comments to help me out here im all ears...and thanks again funzie for clearing a little bit up for me...TP

#9 ·
Look up Bryan Pendleton...here is a picture of his motor, this is the greatest built 2.0L or rather Probe of all time:

All in all I bet he has over 10K invested in the motor alone not to mention the turbo kit. Before you ask what all he has done, search here or on Probetalk about him. You will find what you are looking for. And just some advice, be glad I gave you a little bit of info, just learn that no one is going to do all the research for you.

Josh

#12 ·
That place named above with the turbo kit. Do they sell a kit for the V6??

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.