Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
when I go into fifth gear a faint, yet noticable when you listen, high pitched noise comes from the car. It happens whenever I am in fifth and accelerating, whenever I take my foot off the pedal, the noise stops as well. ANyone know what this is?

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
I have the exact same sound! and it happens when I'm on the highway accelerating. I just figured it's a fan belt or something making the noise....but an alternator whine would make sense. What does this mean? replace the alternator??

I kinda like the noise......it makes it seem as though I have a turbo :D

But seriously, is this something we should be concerned about?

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have the same noise in my MX6 too. It started the day I took out the automatic transmission and put a 5 speed in. lol. It's gear whine. It's caused by a slightly worn out 5th gear in the transmission. Run good gear lube (I run royal purple 75w90) and it should prevent it from wearing any further. The tranny I got had the cheapest gear lube money could buy in it for the first 150k of its life. Hopefully running top quality fluid will stop any further damage....

My eclipse has had bad gear whine in all the gears since I put the latest used tranny in it (I blew out 2nd gear in the first few transmissions.. slow syncros+fast shifting=gearbox soup) I run BG Syncroshift in it and it's been whining for months now and hasnt gotten any worse. It'll probably last for a while till I tear all the teeth off of 2nd gear again from missing shifts, lol. Good thing used transmissions for that car only cost $30 from the local yard..

1 - 5 of 5 Posts