Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright guys, did a bit of searching and this seems to be a fairly uncommon thing. I've got this squeeking noise that I only get while cruising at very light throttle (17"-20" of vacuum). The noise is pretty high-pitched and goes away as soon as I push the pedal down. It sounds almost like a computer working to its hearts content. As for pinpointing the area it's coming from, it's somewhere up around the dash (possibly the megasquirt?). I'm runnin' out of ideas as to what could possibly make the noise only at light throttle/load.

·
Registered
71 Posts
yeah mine does EXACTLY the same thing! It might be normal I've got no idea, I'd like to know what causes it though.

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's REAALLLLLYYY starting to bug me. Guess I need to get somebody else in the car to investigate while I drive.

·
Registered
185 Posts
mine did that...it was the tensioner pulley the bearing were shot, i had no clue until i heard a snap sound and a thunk...left me stranded 6 hrs from home on the side of the highway on a sunday morning, not the most fun i ever had...

may not be your problem but you never know, hope i helped

·
Registered
71 Posts
Has it always done it? Or has it just started recently? Cause mine has done it since I've had it I just thought it was normal but I always wondered what was causing it. It only has 76 000 kms on it so it better not be anything serious

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
Could be any of the accessory bearings, really. Usually they don't quiet down with the pedal, but who knows.

Silly thought - could this be alternator whine coming through your stereo?

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Alternator whine only happens when my radio is on....and I somehow accidentally threw out the faceplate when swapping door panels..DOH!!! But, anyway this is an electrical noise not bearing noise (they're all only a few thousand miles old), and I'm almost positive it's INSIDE the cabin. Again, it goes away if I go to about 16" of Vacuum or higher (more pedal), this just occurs at cruising vacuum levels.

Thanks for the replies thus far everyone.
-adam-

·
Premium Member
5,189 Posts
I don't know if this applies to you, but I even get alternator whine when my faceplate is off...it's not too loud though, once I put the music on I don't really hear it.

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
PaulG said:
I don't know if this applies to you, but I even get alternator whine when my faceplate is off...it's not too loud though, once I put the music on I don't really hear it.
Well, it sounds like it could be alternator whine, but higher pitched than the typicall whine i get with the music on. And like I said, it goes away at a higher level of throttle.

·
Premium Member
1,587 Posts
Sounds like a PWM (pulse width modulated) sound caused by the megasquirt. Could be from the injectors or an inductor on the circuit board. Putting epoxy on any inductors may reduce the noise.

My high speed modem makes an annoying noise like that (comming from the plasic case), because of the switching power supply on the circuit board.

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
Alternator whine can still come through the speakers if you have an external amp that is always on. Any chance this is your issue?

Electrical whine can only be heard through speakers... otherwise, you can't "hear" electrical whine... maybe ticking and such, but not a whine.

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
LARKEN said:
Sounds like a PWM (pulse width modulated) sound caused by the megasquirt. Could be from the injectors or an inductor on the circuit board. Putting epoxy on any inductors may reduce the noise.

My high speed modem makes an annoying noise like that (comming from the plasic case), because of the switching power supply on the circuit board.
The Megasquirt was one of my first thoughts...and very well could be the culprit. I guess the center console still not in place (still straightening up wires/fixing up my A/C to work) is what could be making the noise noticeable. Not absolutely sure it's the problem, but a good start.

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
schwinn said:
Alternator whine can still come through the speakers if you have an external amp that is always on. Any chance this is your issue?

Electrical whine can only be heard through speakers... otherwise, you can't "hear" electrical whine... maybe ticking and such, but not a whine.
Both of my amps are only powered on when the radio turns on...which it hasn't in about 6 months since I threw the faceplate away on accident :sigh: . I know I have alternator whine though...I just crank it up.

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yea, I could try. And may just do that tomorrow....i'll keep ya posted.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts