Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So when I push my car hard or put the RPM's somewhat high (maybe 4000 or 4500+RPM) I smell something burning. Especially when I get out of my car. I've had this problem for a long time and pretty much ignored it until now but now that exam's are here (and I get distracted very easily)...I figured this is the best time to wonder about it.

So any idea what is making the smell or any easy fixes?

PS. I do beat the [shizzle] out of my car quite often. :shrug:

edit: Don't know how this got in the Appearance Section

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
first of all, i really don't consider 4000-4500 that high. thats my avg rmp on the 115.. when i get mine up to 7000, thats what i consider high.. ANYWHO.. whats the burning smell like.. like plastic, electrical.. or could it be just you driving you car hard and its a very hot motor..

if its been doing if for some time now, and no problems.. leave it.. thats my advice.

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
4000-4500 is the starting point but I usually go to 7000RPM.

Don't think it smells like electrical or plastic. I've smelt what a really bad burning clutch smells like it isn't that. (At least I don't think).

To bad I can't post a smell over the net.

edit: Don't have an oil leak (or if I do I can't find it.) Recently replaced VCG's to stop my small oil leak. (Had smell before and after.) And it isn't my tires. :) Everything seems dry around my exhaust piping/stock headers.

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
to me is just smells like a hot well worked motor.. has anyone else ever driven their car hard and had that heavy foot smell under the hood.. i have.. and its only when i drive my car hard..

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
i had something a bit simillar! my SS headers were a bit touching the A/c fan and some plastic part was melting and burning once a while!!
found the plastic part and took it out!! no idea what it its!!

Reactions: MetalMatrix

·
Registered
28 Posts
I know your problem

Your problem is simple, It had happen to me before. The problem is that you have some kind of plastic under your car. The reason why yor smell like something is burning when yor run your car fast, is because the fastes you go, the hatter your car gets... CHECK UNDER YOUR CAR AND MAKE SURE IF THAT IS YOUR PROBLEM..:ewink:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts