Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a very recent owner of a totally stock barebones 89 DX and I don't know if this has been discussed before. I love the car, but I want to know if there is anything that can be done about wind noise at *faster speeds (85+). I just have very ordinary roll up windows and they don't sit tight in the frame so wind kind of creeps up and makes a very noticeable whistling noise. Before I started messing around I wanted to know if anyone has dealt with this prob before.

·
Registered
268 Posts
The cars are generally just kind of loud, but I did notice a new problem in mine. On the outside of the window is a little trim that the window tucks into, and mine is bent in some. This keeps the window from going fully up and contributes a little more to the wind. Mine are electric though, so this may not apply.

·
Premium Member
7,327 Posts
I also have the roll up windows ('91 DX).... the car has always been loud at higher speeds inside. I think this is due to the worn weatherstripping on the edges of the door, and just the car getting old... I've just learned to live with it.

G

·
0 Posts
EV89DX, try to put a chalk or grease on your door seal and close them up as you normally do when you drive. Then open the door and see if any of your part of your seal is not sealing up. You'll see this by the mark of the grease or chalk on your seal and mating surface. Another thing to quiet down your car is add some padding underneath the carpet and panels. There's a lot of areas underneath your carpet that are not padded. Good luck.

·
Registered
318 Posts
I too have developed wind noise, I am thinking it is due partially to the cold temps around here doing a number on the weather stripping. Like tx_beach said about his window trim is tucking in, so is mine. It was especially bad the other night coming home. There was quite a whistle at 115mph :D

·
Premium Member
2,999 Posts
I've noticed the wind noise also, even at lower speeds. My running theory is that the open gap that is left for the retractable passive restraints make a noise channel, since they have no rubber seals to quiet them. Does this sound about right?(no pun intended)

BTW thank God for this site, finally some people who understand when i say "yeah, the engine ticks a bit on startup then goes away" and won't look at me as if i've sampled some of Santa Cruz's finest.

gavin

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I lucked out and have one of the last 89 6's without the lame passive restraint seatbeats. If I remember correctly they started making those Dec 88, mine was made the month before. Anyways, the noise that I'm referring to is one that is made because the window isn't tight against the frame and wind creeps up in there and pushes the window down. By pushing against the rollup knob when I hear this noise it goes away but only as long and I put pressure against it. I was thinking maybe adding some further weatherstripping that would hold the window in tighter, but I haven't tried that yet.

·
Registered
405 Posts
yeah i got the same problem in my dx. but it goes away if i push the window up some, but then ten min later it is back. just one of the things a 12 yr old car does.new seal would probably be the only true fix to it.

·
Registered
379 Posts
I wonder if there is a way to tighten the manual window crank to keep it from slipping and causing the wind noise... anyone have any know-how with that?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts