Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well I have my motor built, I just need a oil pump to finish it. I ordered a toga HV oil pump from www.Importperformanceparts.com and I got the wrong one. The one I ordered was for for an 86 b2000. the one I needed was for a 95-02 Kia Fe-Dohc. When I went to order it from them, they said they were out of them and didn't know when they would be getting more. So I don't know if just a stock Kia pump would be good or where I can bring it to get it shimmed. Or if there is anyone else besides Toga that make a HV oil pump.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think they are different.
On there website:
the part number for the 88-92 mx6 turbo is OPMA-12-HV
the part number for the 95-02 Kia Dohc is OPK4-HV

·
Registered
45 Posts
the only difference is the relief spring I believe. I have the one for a 2.2L turbo motor on my FE3 and have no trouble at 520whp. This is why I asked him if he had a relief spring out of an old FE3 or Kia pump. I used the Relief spring off one of my old FE3 pumps and shimmed it also.

·
Registered
3,800 Posts
can someone explain the word shim/ had it shimmed.
if possible a pic would be nice to clear things.
if not possible i will provide a pic since i have an oilpump in my garage which i took apart.
highly interested in this ..why buy a new pump if i can "shim" one.

:tup:

·
Registered
7,692 Posts
i believe the "shim" goes under the spring in the pressure relief valve part. purpose being more oil pressure before release/relief. the new pump will move more oil per crank rotation than the stock one. increasing the pressure will help force a little more through, but isnt a substitute for the extra cooling afforded by the higher volume pump.

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
89tpgt said:
the only difference is the relief spring I believe. I have the one for a 2.2L turbo motor on my FE3 and have no trouble at 520whp. This is why I asked him if he had a relief spring out of an old FE3 or Kia pump. I used the Relief spring off one of my old FE3 pumps and shimmed it also.
Pics info on this 520whp fe3?
evo

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
evo626 said:
Pics info on this 520whp fe3?
evo
its a miata

I need someone to host the pics for me. As far as the motor here goes:

BLOCK
2.0 FE3 bored .020 over
Wiseco 8.5:1 pistons
Pauter Rods
Stock Crank
Toga High flow oil pump with shimmed relief spring
O-ringed block

HEAD
Port and Polish head
VR6 valve springs
Stock cams
SCE copper head gasket .043 thickness(I have part #s for these now)

TURBO
Full-Race T3/67
Spearco Intercooler
My custom turbo manifold
Greddy Profec Spec II
Greddy Type-H blow off valve

INTAKE
Custom sheetmetal intake
Infiniti q45 throttle body
PWR 92-00 Civic Radiator

DRIVETRAIN
Rx-7 turbo II tranny
Rx-7 Turbo II differential w/4:10 gears
ACT clutch 6-puck clutch
ACT Xtreme pressure plate
Fidanza light weight flywheel
BFGdragradials

Thats all I can remember right now. I use C-16 race gas which has a Motor octane of 118 I believe. I get by with using 110 gas now since I only run 15 degrees of timing at these power levels.

·
Registered
7,692 Posts
after having a look yesterday, the shield/cover on the left points towards the idler bearing, and the one on the right toward the water pump, so what i said earlier was wrong. they most probably are very very similar/same.

fred.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So what if I ordered a HV oil pump for the F2t ? could I just put it in or do I still have to change the spring? I still have my original kia/fe3 pump. the crank walked and scraped the oil pump.

·
Registered
7,692 Posts
you could test each pump with some sort of oil pressure source attached and a guage, and see what pressue they release at, then choose the most appropriate whether that be fe3 stock, f2t stock, or a little higher than those. i would think the stress on the f2t would be higher at 6k than the stock fe3 at 7.3k, but you never know.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I'll tell you what the difference between the two are. the F2T pump has a weaker relief spring because it doesnt have oil squirters under the pistons. The FE3 and Kia have oil squirters under the pistons therefore they have a stronger relief spring to make up for some pressure loss when the squirters open.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So you think there is a difference between a stock oil pump and a Toga HV besides the shim in the relief spring? I ordered a Toga HV pump for a 90 MX6 GT. Should be here in a week or so. I am going to take apart the factory pump and check it out. I'll take a few pics to.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts