Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, everyone talks about making more power with more and more boost. After a while, this becomes unfeasible, or very expensive. Why not raise the compression ratio a little with different pistons or something? Yes, I know that having too high a compression ration and adding boost is bad, but, I'm not talking about 10:1 here, I'm thinking something milder like 8.5:1 or something. Then, the stock turbo with 12 psi would be pretty strong! So, what are the reasons against doing this? As long as you have enough fuel, and enough spark, it shouldn't be a big problem, right?

·
Registered
854 Posts
the reason the GT has such low compression is a fail-safe measure because its made to be a reliable daily driver as well... and many non-suspecting people WILL put regular gas in it. The low CR is justa safeguard... now if u were to put 2.2 N/A pistons, the GT would kick ass!!! You can run as much boost as you want JUST AS LONG AS YOU HAVE THE RIGHT OCTANE FUEL FOR THE BOOST LEVEL

I would say TK was right about 7psi max with 8.7:1 CR with the highest octane fuel at the pump.... throw in some race gas, and youre litterally 'off to the races' with over 7psi. If Jay B can make 550+ hp with Sportage pistons (and NO detonation) then you can make plenty with N/A Mazda Pistons!!!!!!

peas

PS - 8.7:1 WILL KICK MAJOR ASS!!!!! EVEN WITH THE 12-valve!!!!!

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, okay, I don't think I'll use the N/A pistons, the turbo pistons are hypereutetic and probably much stronger than the N/A, but, I can go with the same style and maybe get forged or hypereutetic. Okay, I'm running 12 psi now, on pump gas and not having any problems. If I were to increase to 8.7:1 or so, and run 12 psi, I know i'd be FLYING, but, what would I have to do gas wise? Octane booster in every tank or what? I can't get race gas that easily. Of course, I could just turn the boost down unless I GET race gas, and then pump it up. Whaddya think? I'm thinking about getting my spare engine rebuilt soon. Should I do anything else to the bottom end while I'm at it? I guess I could get the rods shotpeened, and the crank polished and balanced. I have a machine shop that will do the work, and then keep the engine till I pay it off, and I can pay as much as I can, as often as I can and the guy is cool about it. Took me 4 months on my last rebuild. Okay, I'm babbling, but, I'm a little excited. This car will be SO MUCH MORE POWERFUL if I raise the CR.

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
You can also get a bit more power by moving the timing up a hair. Be sure that you decrease the gap of your plugs and run high oct. gas.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts