Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

Just a quick question about rpms on the highway. 1993 mx-6 KLDE 5 speed

How high should the rpms be while cruising on the highway in 5th gear?

To go 100 km/h my engine is reving at around 3200rpm. At 110 km/h 3500rpm and 120km/h about 3700rpm.

Is this normal?

I am thinking if it is high then there might be something wrong with the VRIS or a broken vacume hose or something.

Can you please give me feedback about my RPMs.

Thanks
Jason

·
Registered
146 Posts
I've got a 4speed Auto and at 100km/h, i go about 2700-2800 RPM.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
at 110 mine is about 3600 so not to worry, my VRIS does not work but I dont think that has anything to do with it

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
all is fine. these cars are designed to run like that. gives a little bit of passing power even in 5th gear for easier cruising.

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
should be closer to 3k rpm but your tach just might be a bit off

a vac leak or vris problem would not cause an over-reving problem problem. The only thing that would cause this is a slipping clutch which would be very obvious... The manual transmission is a direct drive system...even if the motor is running like crap it will still hit 3k rpm at 100km/h in 5th.

no offense meant here but it seems like you might not know what vris is...

have a read :tup:

http://www.mx6.com/forums/2g-faq-general/162593-faq-what-vris-everything-you-wanted-know-more.html

has nothing to do with the drivetrain :)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the info.

Thanks for easing my fears.

It has been over a decade since I last drove a standard transmission. Still getting the hang of it. And I try to keep the rpms below 3k.

I was gonna take it on an extended trip and I didn't want to blow up or something.

Next challenge is to the MT gear oil. I got the syncromesh easily. Where to get the other 2 liters of Redline or Royal Purple, is the question.

Happy Holidays to Y'all.
Jason

·
Registered
380 Posts
I'd recommend Redline MT90 as a good transmission oil for our boxes, most reports suggest it's quite reliable. I'm gonna put some in my MX-6 soon.

As for the revs. 3100 @ about 100kmps is about right. 3500 @ 110-120 is probably also alright. Car will get pretty good fuel economy so don't worry.

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
where I live, I looked for Redline MT90 (which no one had locally) and I got Royal Purple (but I drove all over the place and had to go to 3 Napa auto stores just to get 4 quarts). Eventually I ended up draining that and going with the GM Synchromesh with friction Modifier (was the cheapest out of those 3 kinds and was readily available). In fact, the synchromesh fixed my slight gear grinds whenever I'd go into 3rd with aggressive shifting. Whatever you find you can get out of those 3, you should be good to go. Don't really need to mix or anything

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Cool tip on the MT oil.

Thanks for the tips on the mt oil.

It should be easier to go with the syncromesh. Hopefully it fixes my little mini crunch or Klick, going into 2nd.

After getting the cracked exhaust pipe fixed, she sounds better Zooming down the highway at 3200-3700 rpm.

I try to keep the revs low, to baby the engine and stuff so it lasts me atleast a year till I can get another MX-6 to repalce my little green baby. If it needs replacement by then.

It looks like I am hooked on these sweet rides.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts