Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok guys i know this has been talked to death but i want to know for sure.
i have the HKS dragger muffler with the stock pipe and no cat. and no resonator. this set up is too loud for me.

if went to a 2.5in or a 2.25in pipe and a cat. and a resonator, will this make it louder or a little less noise. i thought the pipe increase will add a little more HP over the stock exhaust( what is stock size pipe, 2in, 2.25in 2.125in) i have hear all of that. ALSO will the resonator decrease HP, and what size (IN) should i get if i go with the 2.5in or the 2.25in pipe.

also, i was looking at maybe a new muffler, maybe a Weapon R muffler with the 2.5in pipe and cat and maybe res. not sure yet about that the res. part. i think i can get the muffler from a friend for about $150 or around that price.ALSO will the resonator decrease HP, and what size (IN) should i get if i go with the 2.5in or the 2.25in pipe. what have you guys heard about this set, if any info.

i have read that the Apexi muffler sound a little ricey. i read that on PT. i have read ALL about GReddy and Borla and Flowmaster and all that stuff on PT.
i would like to know more about the Tanabe mufflers, Trust mufflers, 5Zigen. i didnot see that much on there about them, i went to the web sites and found some stuff.

i just want to make sure i do the right thing. i have been reading all day on PT about muffler and exhaust.

i want something, that will increase the HP some and make it a touch softer in sound. thanks guys sorry this was long.

·
JDM Conversion
522 Posts
I'll let someone else answer the questions, I just wanted to point out that Trust = Greddy and say that I'm trying to think of a way to make my Greddy louder. It's got awesome tone it just needs to be a little louder...

bj

·
Registered
483 Posts
Jason,

Don't forget about the Remus exhaust for mx-6, pretty sick but expensive...they sell at Nopi. Go to your local custom muffler shop see what they recommend and tell you don't want something loud....the cat really makes a difference. I think the resonater resonates the sound too...not making it too loud...I wouldn't think it would be restrictive only the cat and muffler. well, good luck.

Anthony

·
Registered
488 Posts
Hopefully tonoght I can give you a very good idea. I'm having a 2.5" system put on as we speak.

First background on the exhaust. (Warning:this may take some time)

Started off with a Borla cat-back, why because they were the only option in 94 when I got the car. Good tone not too loud and looks very stock.

Then found Hotshot headers at a car show, yes the very first original design, they didn't even know they would work on an MX-6:). This made the exhaust somewhat louder but added more to the top end so it was worth it.

At this point the only stock exhaust piece in the cat.

Then changed to a Greddy cat-back when it came out since I want to great big 5" tip design and the build quality of the Greddy was much better with the flanged connectors instead o the Borla slip-fit and U-bolt design, I kept scraping the U-bolts going in to parking garages.

Last year I changed the Greddy muffler to a twin Tsudo muffler. Not because I didn't like the Gredy but because someone else liked it more than me and stole to muffler. The Tsudo was much louder, very near the legal limit and probably over it. Later they came out with reducers to quite the muffler down an the helped a lot.

Over the last few months the flex pipe on my headers, which are 6 years old now, had started to seperate due to the fact that there are no hanger mounting points on it so the cat has been stretching it for all those years.

Finally got pulled over for noise violation last week due to the exhaust mostly coming out at the flex pipe and not being muffled at all. This helped me convince the wife that I could spend money on rebuilding the exhaust, she was in the car with me.:D

At this point I'm having a the Y-collector from the headers cut just after they merge and having a 2.5" flex wleding on there into a 2.5" cat to a 2.5" glasspack, in place of the resonator, out to the muffler cavity. At this point I'm having the Tsudo twin muffler cut apart in to two seperate mufflers and having one put on each side of the car. I wanted to do a true dual exhaust from the headers back with two cats, resonators and mufflers but due to legal reasons not one shop will due it. Might be possible somewhere else but not here in CA.

I'll post on how it sounds later tonight or tomorrow.

·
Registered
475 Posts
yeah jason I think you should try searching....LOL

Anyway all I have to say is that the resonator and cat will definitley make what ever muffler you get somewhat quieter. If u go with the 2.25 piping it'll probably be even quieter but not as much of a hp increase.
The apexi exhaust's I've heard dont sound that ricey, but I also heard they dont increase the hp much at all. Go with the greddy or borla. Everything I've heard about them is good.

Aren't there already like 400 active threads about exhausts that u and I have already thrown our 2 cents in? Just thought I'd make it 401.

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i just wanted my topic, and to have all my details and ??? out there for you guys to help me with. thanks i will have to look in to the search feature, wow that is something new, is it not.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts