·
Premium Member
4,971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
wow very impressive documentation.

Don't know if you guys find this helpful, but i found that it was easier for me to just take a quart or motor flush a fill a bowl with it, then u can submerge the HLA's in the motor flush, depress the little valve, and then depress the valve a few times while submerged until you don't see any more black oil squirt out. then just let them soak with the motor flush inside, and before installing do the exact opposite but with a quart of fresh oil.

also you could probably use the big can's of wd40 to do this, i just think that the motor flush is probably cheaper then a quart of wd40 and is actually ment as an oil additive right befor oil changes, and if you don;t mix it with oil it should be alot better at removing gunk. thats just my suggestion, and again nicely layed out and easy to understand.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Valve cover gasket replacement. How tight?

I read the FAQ about replacing your valve cover gasket and it's pretty straight forward. Have a few questions though. What are the torque specs I should use when replacing the cover? The FAQ is not clear about that. I replaced the cover gasket a few years back without a torque wrench and I'm afraid I over tighted the screws. I'm getting some leaking in the corners of the cover. The FAQ said to also use RTV sealant in the corners which I didn't use before. I will try that. Anyway, info would be appreciated.

·
Registered
146 Posts
you dont need specs. there just 10mm's. just tighten them in order to what 10 mm screws can hold. the valve cover doesnt have to be tight but a new gasket and some sealant in the corners will help. sorry im from australia and i dont know the inch converstions, its called a rocker cover here as well.

·
Registered
948 Posts
maybe 1/16 to 1/8 turn past hand tight. Seems to work.

·
Registered
3,068 Posts
I think it is either 14 or 15 ft/lbs.

·
Premium Member
4,971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
coomarlin said:
I read the FAQ about replacing your valve cover gasket and it's pretty straight forward. Have a few questions though. What are the torque specs I should use when replacing the cover? The FAQ is not clear about that. I replaced the cover gasket a few years back without a torque wrench and I'm afraid I over tighted the screws. I'm getting some leaking in the corners of the cover. The FAQ said to also use RTV sealant in the corners which I didn't use before. I will try that. Anyway, info would be appreciated.
SixSick6 said:
You turn one of those to 14-15lbs and you'll be breaking out your extractor set.
Try 7 to 9
7-9 lbs/ft is correct. I just did them hand tight, then one quarter turn past that. Remember, it's just a cover, not a mechanical part.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
yeah my [shizzle] always been leaking, my dad finally got a really precise torque wrench so i think i'll take one more stab at it...

edit : lol i could of swore i never used the work shizzle in my life...

·
Registered
78 Posts
I just replaced mine today and used the copper RTV sealant in the corners of the cover. WE'll see how it holds up. I took a can of degreaser and spayed the oil soaked section pretty heavily. After letting it sit for a while I took a toothbrush and scrubbed it. It was one hell of a mess. I sprayed it down with water afterwards. THe gasket went on okay I guess but after driving the car 30 miles since then I checked the valve cover and the gasket seems to be clean. What concerns me now is that it looks like either the head is leaking or some of the nasty spooge I couldn't get cleaned has run back across the engine block. I'm gonna definately have to take acloser look. This could be bad.

·
Registered
78 Posts
After cleaning up the spoodge and driving a hundred miles yesterday it appears to be nice and dry. I'm assuming the spoodge was actually spray gunk and water that I used to rinse the engine. It looks pretty good. Now if I could only figure out what is wrong with my electrical system I'd be a happy camper. :)

·
Registered
167 Posts
Nice write up!...but I don't see any pictures yet.

·
Premium Member
4,971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
GTkid22 said:
Nice write up!...but I don't see any pictures yet.
I don't understand. I spent over a half hour fixing them. I just re-fixed them. Tell me if they are up or not. I think the vBulletin gods did something to my edits.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts