Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now Im one of those car guys who just cant let somthing be.
What I want to do, and yes I am crazy, is put a v8 in a VW beetle. :ewink:

I saw a guy a while back with a rabbit that he converted to RWD with a chevy v8 in the back. He had to make a subframe, take everything out of the rear (seats and all that) and put a gas tank in front.

I think I could probably do the same to a beetle. Just remove the back seats and the engine and gas tank, and build a subframe (with a roll cage.. ah hell why not just build a whole new frame :p). Yes I know its allot more complicated then that, and as I said I am crazy. But can you imagine how friken fast it would be? Even with a stock v8 I would be running some serious times!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Now thats my other project. :p
But beetles are a dime a dozen round here.

I was gonna do that to a 89 RX7 a few years ago, but I didnt have the $$$ for a newer engine and parts. I hate living in Cali somtimes.

ALTHOUGH my father in law lives in Weed, and that county only requires ONE smog in the time you own your car. I could register the car THERE...

Yes, anyways a 200Z conversion is somthing I have been dying to do.
But who expects a beetle with a v8?

·
Registered
4,484 Posts
why dont you go post this on a beetle forum so you can actually get some constructive criticism on it. i can almost GUARENTEE you're gonna get major flamed for this. either that, or everyones just gonna ignore it.

·
Banned
27,927 Posts
$10,000 question- How do you expect to do this when you don't even know how to hook a timing light up?: http://www.mx6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=147586

You say "just remove the backseat and engine and gas tank and build a subframe" like it's easy. The only thing easy about any of that is removing the back seat. Gas tanks have rusty nuts and bolts, you get dirty, spill gas on yourself/in your mouth, cut your hands on sharp rusty metal. Engines require swear words for removal, tools that don't break, breaker bars that don't bend, nuts and bolts that come off without penetrating lube, a 4 ft breaker bar and or 150 PSI from an impact wrench and still won't break free, so you get the torch out. Murphy can and usually does lay down his law when you're pulling and or installing an engine.

Ehhh, you most likely won't be here in a month or two so, who cares.

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
in spirit of the recent thread by the fuj...
good luck man, if it works out, let us know and post pics...
if nothing happens...then it's just another "i told ya so" situation...
prove us wrong :) i'd like to see that

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
" Ehhh, you most likely won't be here in a month or two so, who cares."

Oh yea, nevermind that I still own a MX6 and that Ive been here for a year now. :rolleyes:

The point is that I like to build stuff. There is a school near me with a full automotive program with everything except body repair. I know my skills are lacking at the moment but I plan on fixing that. Ive rebuilt engines. Ive removed and rebuilt beetle engines. Its just been somthing like 8 years now since my last auto class so Im a little rusty.

But yea I probably shouldnt have posted this here. Allot of people here are too quick to shoot somone down before even thinking it through. God forbid somone do somthing original. I mean seriusly, did you Six even stop to think for a second that maybe it was just a idea? Or even the drive somone would have to pull somthing like that off? Im a thinker. I like coming up with ideas that maybe no one has come up with before. I know people have thought of it before, I once saw a pic of a beetle with a v6 in the front. But I didnt like how it looked and why not a v8?

But I guess Ill keep my original ideas to myself.

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
kenny_boy019 said:
" Ehhh, you most likely won't be here in a month or two so, who cares."

Oh yea, nevermind that I still own a MX6 and that Ive been here for a year now. :rolleyes:

The point is that I like to build stuff. There is a school near me with a full automotive program with everything except body repair. I know my skills are lacking at the moment but I plan on fixing that. Ive rebuilt engines. Ive removed and rebuilt beetle engines. Its just been somthing like 8 years now since my last auto class so Im a little rusty.

But yea I probably shouldnt have posted this here. Allot of people here are too quick to shoot somone down before even thinking it through. God forbid somone do somthing original. I mean seriusly, did you Six even stop to think for a second that maybe it was just a idea? Or even the drive somone would have to pull somthing like that off? Im a thinker. I like coming up with ideas that maybe no one has come up with before. I know people have thought of it before, I once saw a pic of a beetle with a v6 in the front. But I didnt like how it looked and why not a v8?

But I guess Ill keep my original ideas to myself.
First, this isn't really an "original" idea. Crazy engine swaps are nothing new:

http://www.hubcapcafe.com/ocs/pages01/bug_6001.htm

http://fp.enter.net/~rockcrawl/SBCLa.html

http://www.motorcyclecruiser.com/roadtests/BossHoss/

People have been swapping all sorts of engines into all sorts of vehicles for decades.

Second, the skepticism you see comes from a history of seeing posts similar to this where the poster seems to minimize and even trivialize the true scale of work to be done. Yes, I can actually "imagine how friken fast it would be", but a project of this magnitude isn't for a beginner with no fabrication experience, plain and simple. It would make more sense to start with a smaller engineering undertaking to develop welding, cutting, fixturing, design and other skills first. Do you ever watch American Hotrod? Stupid show, yes, but seriously...do you have the tools, fixtures, space, money and skills that even those dolts have to replicate what they do? Why do you think there's only a handful of Boyd Coddington-like shops in all the US?

Unless that beginner opens his chequebook and allows a fabrication shop to do all the engineering and metalwork, all he's likely to do is end up with a garage full of hacked-up junk, cut metal, half-ass tack welds holding together a half-ass, rickety "structure" that can barely support itself and which has no hope of being finished. Even with a rolling chassis built by a professional shop, right down to powdercoat, ready for assembly, I doubt most fabnoobs could actually create a viable, safe, streetable vehicle from that...

Dreaming stuff like this is cool. But being realistic about what's actually involved in pulling it off is required. That's all the skeptics and poo-pooers are saying :D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts