Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a little problem. When I had my car kitted and painted, with the Shogun Wing, I started noticing that my trunk was a little hard to open. I figured this was because of the extra weight on it. It would open about half way, then stick a little bit, and then open the rest of the way regularly. OK...NOW my trunk wont open at all. It opens probably half an inch, and then thats it. Ive pulled as hard as I felt was safe (pretty hard) and it wont budge. I feel like if I keep pulling Im going to bend the brackets that hold it to the car, so I dont want to force it anymore than I have to. I cant even open it enough to see whats stopping it. Anyone have any ideas? Its been about 2 years since I had my car painted, and this problem didnt start till after I had the wing installed, and now it wont open at all. Help!

·
Registered
6,447 Posts
well, i know mazda actaully makes what they call "spoiler trunk struts" they have more power and liftinf force, i have them on mine. could get a set of those, i'd fold down the back seats and get in and look at it, see if you can't figure it out, maybe it's stuck or your shocks locked up, then you could detach them and open it up!

·
Registered
800 Posts
crawl in from the back seat and check out the problem:ewink:

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have a box back there. Its pretty big too. Im fucked. I can try pushing it out of the way and disconnecting the lifters. Its possible that they just locked up like someone said. I dont exactly open my trunk often after all. But if I cant get back there because of my Box, any other suggestions?

·
Registered
6,447 Posts
depends on how far it's open, can you close it again? then try opening. If you can't get it, and it won't close, you will pretty much have to move your box one way or another, i'd say close it and try again.

·
Premium Member
10,652 Posts
you can try a scissor jack (carefully) between the latch points (both fairly strong)

you wont bend the hinges very easily... worst youmight do is bend one of those struts (or break it,..sounds like its broken already though)

any chance something (screw driver, etc) got tangled up in there and is creating a physical blockage at either the hinging mechanism or the strut?

Reactions: Brad

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
hmm interesting... i had the same problem man, it turned out one of my little sturts were slightly bent and that caused the trunk to be hard to open. As time went on, it actually got worst to the point where i couldn't open it past the "popping point". I took both of them off and haven't replaced them since....it's ghetto, but for now i just use a snow brush to hold the trunk open when i have to LOL

·
Registered
5,178 Posts
when i was looking at mx6's to buy, there was one total POS one with a screwey boot. i forced it open and could see that the struts were bent. i guess it is common.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Goatcrapp said:
you can try a scissor jack (carefully) between the latch points (both fairly strong)

you wont bend the hinges very easily... worst youmight do is bend one of those struts (or break it,..sounds like its broken already though)

any chance something (screw driver, etc) got tangled up in there and is creating a physical blockage at either the hinging mechanism or the strut?
Nah. I dont think I shut my trunk on any tools, etc, like I said I hardly ever open it. I can get it shut again afterwards, but it wont open any further than the "popping point".

I guess if I get it open im taking the struts off and buying some new ones, or just using a snow brush like someone else :idea: :lol: Very creative.

Ill let everyone know how it goes

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
For those that are interested in knowing, I got my trunk open. What happened was, the shocks that hold the trunk open were pretty much rusted closed. I broke them opening my damn trunk. Unbelievable. Guess I gotta get some new ones now. Anyone where to get some for a good price?

·
Registered
6,447 Posts
the dealer really isn't that bad if i recall, but it's been 4 years since i bought mine:shrug: just looks at any salvage yard, most struts off any cars have the same fittings, ought to be able to find some

·
Registered
46 Posts
i bought mine on ebay for about 40 bucks, a little pricey, but it was worth it for me, the shocks had gone out on my old probe and it was a beetch having to lift it all the time and using a 4 by 4 when working in my trunk. maybe hughes has some good ones, talk to him.

·
Registered
947 Posts
mx6dave said:
. I took both of them off and haven't replaced them since....it's ghetto, but for now i just use a snow brush to hold the trunk open when i have to LOL
Jesus.... I gotta do the samething and i use the snow brush. its a year round tool in my car

...only in canada lmfao

·
Registered
493 Posts
rockauto.com has struts for trunks with spoilers for $12.80 ea last time I checked. Cheapest I could find.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts