Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im guessing they come on when you should shift? im new to the 5-speed scene and so im a little lost, if anyone wants to inform me a little more, like, what they really are, how they work and what not.... thanks

·
Registered
352 Posts
Its a little light on your dash that goes on at the optimum shift points, optimum for gas millage that is. I don't know if any 6's came with them, mine doesn't. In my opinion you shouldn't have to have a light tell you when to shift.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
First of all, the MX6 did not come with an automatic shift light that tells you when to shift. A shift light for our cars would consist of just one light with a dial where you can specify what RPM you want the light to go on at that way you know when to shift. The best thing to do if you are serious about knowing when exactly to shift in your vehicle is to have it DYNOED. Then you'll be able to see when during your gear you reach your peak HP and when you start dropping down. That way, you shift right at the peak before you start loosing power. Once you find out what RPM you're at your best, simply dial in at that certain RPM that way the light will indicate when you will be shifting...

It's either that or race your car starring at your speedo all the time waiting for that specific RPM.

I've always shifted between 6300-6500 RPMS's all the way through 4th at the 1/4 mile.

·
Registered
19 Posts
i thought the 1gen 5spd had a shift light instead of the econ/power mode light the atx has?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts