Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
90 MX-6 automatic.

My hold system has decided to hate me. What it does is turn itself on and off, on it's own. It will often do it (often really fast off on off on offonoffonoffon ewfrewgre) if I am simply just.. idling. If the car is just on. And also it seems that anything that I do in there that requires juice from the battery i.e.; hit the automatic window button, hit the brakes (brakelights), turn on the heater, use a blinker, likes to initiate the scary onoffonoffonoff sequence. I have NO idea what could be wrong and I hoped one of you might.

In essence, I REALLY don't want to pay to get this fixed. If possible, I'd rather just eliminate the hold system entirely. Whatever it takes, because anyone with that same hold system can image how annoying this can be (especially when driving around 80 mph on an interstate when it decides to kick on :\ ).

So someone help me pleeeeeeaase. My weary soul needs guidance. As well as a happy MX-6.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
hold system malfunction

If electronic devices are powered by low or fluctuating voltages they can do odd things.

I'm wondering if the charging system on your car is not working correctly, and the battery voltage with the engine running is lower than it should be.

If you then demand some extra current from the battery (say by doing any of the things mentioned in your post which sets the problem off), then the overall battery voltage will drop and this may upset the automatic transmission control unit in some way

Get a multimeter, set it to DC Volts and connect it across the battery terminals. With the engine off and nothing switched on a healthy battery should read between 12.5 and 13 volts. Turn the ignition on, BUT DO NOT START THE ENGINE. Get a friend to turn on the lights or operate a power window. This should cause the battery voltage to drop as the battery supplies current to the accessory being operated. Get the same friend to start the engine. A rough guess would be that the battery voltage should rise to between 14V and 15V. Get the same friend to operate the same accessories he / she / it operated before and watch the multimeter. It should not dip by more than 0.1-0.2 volts (because the alternator should be keeping the battery topped up and supplying most of the juice). If it dips almost as far as it dipped when the engine was not running, you may have a charging problem.

hope this helps,

Ian Chequer

·
Premium Member
7,327 Posts
The HOLD light flashing is indicating that your automatic transmission's computer has stored a failure code and is trying to alert you of the problem. It does not indicate a problem with the "HOLD" system specifically; that is just the light that it used to give error codes.

If your charging system is ok (putting out 14.4 ish volts), I would say there is a problem with your transmission's electonics. It's hard to say what without pulling the error codes from the tranny (need mazda workshop manual and perhaps a mazda dealer's attachment).

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
reading fault codes

There is a posting in the UK members on reading error codes within the engine management and ATX management systems. It might be worth reading that. However, I don't know if it applies to the 1st generation MX-6 (I don't think it was ever imported into the UK).

I have a Haynes manual for the 2nd generation MX-6 but it does not give any info on reading ATX codes. He seems to indicate the vehicle is still driveable with the fault (i.e. not locked in one gear) so there can't be that much wrong with it.

Either of us might be right. My thoughts were that the problem is triggered by doing something with the car which demands electrical power, and he hasn't mentioned any starting problems which would indicate a goosed battery.

Keep us posted Genjuu !

regards

·
Registered
3,432 Posts
"hold light"

While your car may be experiencing some sort of electrical problems, the flashing hold light usually indicates a fault within the ATX's electronic controls.
Your best bet would be to eliminate the charging system or alternator as the culprit.
Is the tranny actually being held in any particular gear ? Have you recently noticed anything unusual with the way the car runs or shifts ? Any jerking or does the motor rev up between shifts ?
The "hold" button for the tranny shifter can be disabled, but you need to find out what's going on, before you get stranded.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
more thoughts on ATX problems

On Generation 2 ATX's, there seems to be a transaxle range sensor, which (presumably) feeds back info on what position the shift lever is in, and it seems to be possible for it to slip out of position. Could this be the problem?

I also notice there are interlocks on the shift lever which prevent the engine from being started if the shift lever is not in Neutral or Park, and also which prevent the lever from being moved out of Neutral unless the brake pedal is depressed. I think these features might be for the American market only but the components aren't too difficult to check.

of course the Generation 1 might be different. Hopefully Genjuu will reappear soon.

regards,

Ian Chequer

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
just read your codes or have mazda read them. your transmission will tell you whats wrong with it. thats a lot easier than having us guess at it and if your replacing parts it'd probally end up being cheaper. like stated before its an electronical problem.

·
Registered
3,432 Posts
flashing "hold" light

Aussomea said:
just like stated before its an electronical problem.
Hey Genjuu, where are ya at ?

Sometimes you get lucky, but beware of unscrupoulus shops, if having the problem diagnosed. A second opinion may be necessary. There are various interlocks, sensors, solenoids and things that need analyized properly.

If the maintenance has been kept up on the fluid & filter, and you have not "beat" the car........maybe it's something "electrical". However, if the car's tranny been subject to negligence, it could be more serious internal damage. Mazda's ATX trannys are finicky and known to be troublesome as they get older.

If unsure how to check it, find a reputable independent shop to help you with the problem.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
hold problem

It would be interesting to see what the solution to this one is because I've seen a couple of posts on carsurvey.org describing the same problem.

regards,

Ian Chequer

·
Registered
1 Posts
The HOLD light flashing is indicating that your automatic transmission's computer has stored a failure code and is trying to alert you of the problem. It does not indicate a problem with the "HOLD" system specifically; that is just the light that it used to give error codes.

If your charging system is ok (putting out 14.4 ish volts), I would say there is a problem with your transmission's electonics. It's hard to say what without pulling the error codes from the tranny (need mazda workshop manual and perhaps a mazda dealer's attachment).
hello noticed this out dated but i need help looking for 1st generation mx6 atx automatic trans my floor shifter wires are all been chopped up but new shifter purchased but need help schematic of wiring so i can attach wires onto plugs on the plugin everything back together correctly

1 - 10 of 10 Posts