Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What exactly is the use for the "hold system" in automatic 1st Gen MX6's?!????

·
Premium Member
3,962 Posts
The hold button allows you to manually select gears. When hold is activated, D becomes 3rd gear, S becomes 2nd and L becomes 1st. You can use it to manually downshift, or start off in 2nd or 3rd (this puts more strain on the tranny though, so if you do, throttle it gently) if it's snowy out or something. Just a warning, dont ever downshift into first unless you're almost at a complete stop otherwise it'll slam and it's not good for the tranny at all.

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is this actually handy for racing, or just a fun option to play with? will i get more speed from the start if i engage hold then go L -> S -> D ? also, can i actually red line it if i use this option?

·
Premium Member
3,962 Posts
it's more handy for tackling the twisties or autocrossing. I used it a lot when I had my '89 LX. Even for normal driving, I'd use it to downshift instead of pushing the gas until the tranny decided to. You can run it straight to redline but there really is little benefit since the 2.2 runs out of steam just shy of redline. There's a lot of tricks to the system, but once you get used to how it works you'll like it. Just be gentle.

·
Registered
1 Posts
How should I explore/use hold system ?

Hi, I' m a Mazda 626 2.2 1991 non turbo car owner, and automatic. I read the comments for Hold system but i do not understand how to use it optimum. You said that is used for shifting it manually(D, S, L), but i can not shift manual a automatic gear, because that's the purpose - automatic.
For now, i use hold and shifted in D, but is starting/going very slowly.
Many people said that hold system is for "economy drive", but i don't believe it(eat the same: 16 liters/100km). Well, my car manual is in deutsch language and i don't understand anything about Hold System.
Please, can i get something more clearly?
Help please, i' m feeling that i kill the car by using it not properly.
Regards,
Catalin

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
16L / 100Km is terrible. There has got to be something wrong with your car.

The worst you should usually expect for a MX6 is about 12L / 100Km.
I use about 10.5L / 100Km.

On the question about the hold button. It downshifts the gearbox to the next lowest gear 4 > 3, 3 > 2, 2 > 1.

It then holds that gear until you release the button.

You can manually shift an auto by moving the selector lever through the different ranges as you eccelerate. L (1-2) > S (3) > D (4).

With the hold button on the selections become LH (1) > SH (2) > DH (3) > D(4) - one the last one turn the hold button off.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Good question. Is there a thread on the proper way to do this and is it safe for the tranny when done correctly? I have a Gen2 so is it the same technique?

·
Registered
349 Posts
Just be smart about it. You should know that if you are at high rpms you shouldn't be shifting down. Whenever I downshift I am at 3K or under. Because I know it will kick up to over 4.5K-5.

Its perfectly fine for your tranny as long as you know whats going on when you shift at that rpm level.

I find it gives no "manual" benefit. The power button will kick up the rpms a lot faster than hold system. Thats what I use. But hold is fun if you like to have complete control over your car.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts