Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,505 Posts
that thing looks WILD.

i love the fact that you used the stock intake piece.

put the brackets around it so people dont complain about a link.

·
Premium Member
5,344 Posts
Funky! But with the blue valve covers, it looks like a smurf blew up under the hood! I'd go all red now!

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank's for the comments! I wanted something, so that i didn't need to worry about sucking up water, but still get cold air. I tryed putting in the stock air box, for days, but with the ZE manifold, it wouldn't sit right. I think the only small restriction with the stock box, is the top cover because the vaf sits mostly to the front, blocking off most of the filter flow. I had the other parts sitting around, so i started putting them on until i came up with this. I going to paint the filter housing, when the weather warms up, but it will be silver, to help reflect heat away. When i get bored, i tinker with my car, if i can get the wifes jeep out of the garage.

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
i like it dude, looks like it should have been designed like that. Without a resonator in the intake does it sound different this way?

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I don't think there is much difference in sound, maybe not quite as loud as a standard cai, but with the magnaflow muffler on there, the KLZE just sounds good.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Post Vidz or Go Home lol Just kidding :tup:

·
Registered
451 Posts
There isnt CAI, for sure. I think - worth it? Couse real CAI are terrible cheap.... But looks pretty clean ;)

·
Registered
158 Posts
sorry bro, that is not a cold air intake, its right above the tranny soaking all the heat!, i see you have an optima! this is what i recomend..... put the optima in the trunk, rum your intake behind the headlight, and run a ram air to that, and that is the most effective way by far to run a CAI, post pics if you do it. i like your clean engine bay!

here is the setup that i suggest!

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
sorry bro, that is not a cold air intake, its right above the tranny soaking all the heat!, i see you have an optima! this is what i recomend..... put the optima in the trunk, rum your intake behind the headlight, and run a ram air to that, and that is the most effective way by far to run a CAI, post pics if you do it. i like your clean engine bay!

here is the setup that i suggest!

That is also a W.A.I. I myself mounted my air filter behind the front bumper and i have a 3' flex hose connecting it. I used the piping from my C.A.I kit.

·
Registered
158 Posts
That is also a W.A.I. I myself mounted my air filter behind the front bumper and i have a 3' flex hose connecting it. I used the piping from my C.A.I kit.
W.A.I.? try again buddy!, if you are running it behind the bumper you must be using a long hose which is slowing you down, behind the headlight is C.A.I especially when the intake is heat wrapped, has a ram air from the front bumper, and is not to far away from the throttle body, thus giving you optimal power! i have tried it many ways, on 626's mx's and probes and this is the best way! and when you move the battery you transfer weight to the rear making your car have a better weight disturbution!

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
I'm not here to bash you man. But you have nothing to deflect the heat away from your Filter. Pop your hood next time you have driven the car for a while. Then touch your intake piping Or the filter itself for that matter. I've tried various ways myself and that is the only way i was able to maintain a cool intake charge. (Warm Air Intake ) W.A.I

And the Original Poster Is Indeed Pulling Cold Air From In Front Of The Radiator. Sure there is probably some heatsoak. But have you ever look at how poorly the Aluminum manifold is constructed in the first place. Heat Soak Heaven even with the phenolic Spacers

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Or you could pull air from under the car too. There is cold air down there if you can get it down far enough. I have mine sitting right above the splash guard under the battery.

This is really the only way to go about getting COLD AIR. :tup:

1 - 20 of 31 Posts