Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

i was just wondering...

there is a kid in town who has a Honda del sol, he has a full body kit on it, lowered and some rims, o yeah and tons a ricer stickers
i have no idea about performance mods, but i imagine there r some, but whos knows...
what kinda of speed do these cars have?
u guys think i could take him in my stock 6
cause i really want to embarrass him cause he thinks hes hot sh*t
well thanx

(i will try to get a pic so u can all see a ricer del sol)

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
it's a del slo, and without serious engine mods then no he can't keep up. Forced induction or turbo and a VTEC and you lose! Just race him; no harm done.

·
Registered
44 Posts
i have raced a delsol in my '89 gt there is no way in hell he could keep up just plain out smoked his ass you shouldent have any trouble

G

·
Del Sols run similar 1/4 mile times and 0-60 of a STOCK mx-6.....If the Del Sol is NON VTEC (as most of them are) you will slaughter him.....If he is a VTEC with a 5-speed, it will be close, you will take him off the line and he should catch you by 40-50mph.....Those things CAN be fast if they are modded properly......later

·
Registered
28 Posts
If he's auto, then it's either a 1.5 nonvtec or the 1.6 sohc vtec. Either way a 5 spd MX6 will kill it. The top model (only called the "VTEC") is a dohc 1.6 vtec, and it's pretty quick. 160hp and 2500 pounds... It'd be a close one to call.

·
Registered
3,092 Posts
you should be able to rail on him. either engine...

hey...its still a civic.

0-60 in 7.4...with the B16A...if its an auto, even slower

·
Registered
8,053 Posts
I just saw a Del Sol last night. My friend and I were riding around in my mx6, stopped at a red light, and we saw him flying by coming from our right and going to our left. Well, it was a long light, and when I could finally turn he was well ahead of us. So, I did my typical 65 mph down Washington Avenue (30 mph zone) and saw him way in the distance turning right onto Highway 31. I followed him, doing my typical 75 mph (35 mph zone) and caught up to him after about a block. This thing was so heavily modified... Aside from the stuff I could see, like a Borla cat-back, dropped suspension, some larger rims... There were about 15 stickers on the side of his car. So I just cruised there next to him as my friend pointed and laughed, waiting for a set of lights.

After a couple of miles we came upon a green light. The speed limit was still 35, and we were doing about 45. We both slowed down (yes there were cars behind us) until we were doing about 2 mph, and that light stayed green!!! Finally the guy just got sick of it and floored it. I wasn't expecting him to, so he had about a half a car's length of a lead. By the time I was at 6700 rpm in first, we were even. I shifted to second and kinda lost him somewhere in my blind spot... After I hit 60 I slowed down and he pulled up next to us with his window down, shouting something at me. I couldn't hear him, so I gestured for him to pull over. He did, and I did, and I got out to talk to the guy.

Basically he kept on asking me what I'd done to my car, and I kept on telling him that it was basically stock. He said how impressed he was, and then asked me to come down to the local dragstrip on Friday. He's in a car club, and they're doing time trials. He said they'd had an mx6, but it was an automatic so they kicked him out.

I guess not ALL Civic drivers are the arrogant jerks I thought they were.

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
well he must be they kicked out a 6 because it was auto!!!

maybe i dont know how to drive a stick, but i thought you should shift at HP peak in the rev band, is it 6700RPM?? thought it was lower, maybe i am wrong.

·
Registered
3,092 Posts
you should be shifting where the power in the higher gear will be greater then the power in the lower gear...

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
if you shift right at redline then you will have lost power in the gear you are in, right, but your revs will stay higher in the next gear. i read that the HP peak is right around 5500 but if you have cams in there then its higher near 6800!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts