Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been having a grinding noise that comes from the front of my car, and occurs at every tire rotation, meaning it only makes the noise when the wheels go round.. I just put on some new rims, and since then it's gotten really loud. The car vibrates at higher speeds. The noise goes away when I turn sharply in either direction, and when I brake. Anybody know what the problem is? I'm taking it into my mechanic tonight, but you know mechanics... they sometimes like to tell you it's something else much more expensive..

G

·
wheel bearings or cv joints can sound this way, and if turning elminates the noise, I'd suspect front wheel bearings.

Since you just put new wheels on though, I'd really look close to make sure they aren't hitting something. If you don't get the offset just right the wheel can scrape on the caliper or line or something.

Inspect the back of the wheel to see if something is hitting and rubbing a nice big shiny line into your new wheels...

Hope this helps..

Gerry-

G

·
It sounds like ur wheel bearings are gone, i had the same problem on a 90 mazda protege, it would make a loud grinding noise when i drive bout would stop when i turn, so check for the bearings, cuz im 80% sure its that

·
Registered
483 Posts
you should inspect the ball joints and the inner and outter tie-rods too, I had the same problem too and the wheel bearing had to be replaced.

good luck,

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Brake pad warning toungue

Your car migth have metal toungue on those sheetmetal pieces on the back of the inner brakepads if these sheetmetal pices are dislokated they can scrape in to the rotor and make a lot of noise. take of the wheel and sheck it out

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ok here's the latest.. the horrible grinding was in fact a wheel bearing.. damn!! thanks for all the input guys, and actually now there's a noise coming from the left wheel that seems to be that sheet metal thingy.. i'll check it out tonight..

·
Registered
131 Posts
opposate

I get the opposate.. when i turn i get a weird grinding.. its not really loud but i can sort of feel it in the stearing wheel. What is that?

Alex

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
as far as I know... same thing. it's weird cuz that's what my friend's A4 did when his bearing was shot.. he'd turn and it'd get louder.. i dunno.. cars are strange things..

·
Registered
3,092 Posts
are you guys not greasing your wheel bearings at brake job time???

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
well i dont service my own bearings or brakes, dont really know how... but i was told that the bearings cant be greased cuz they're one whole unit... is that not true?

·
Registered
3,092 Posts
yeah, theyre all one unit but thats what a grease packer is for...

if you dont have a grease packer, youll have to put grease on the bearing unit... as much as will cover the surface.

put the bearing back in its place, put the rotor/drum back on, spin the rotor/drum as you tighten the castle nut (axle nut) and then loosen it... pull the rotor/drum off and make sure the bearing is thoroughly greased. if not, repeat the process. shouldnt take more than twice.

·
Registered
25 Posts
cost?

how much did it cost you to get your wheel bearings repaired? because I have this slight noise on my rear right when I turn that I think may be the same thing.

Dean

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Front right wheel bearing = $160 CAD

..fixed that damn scraping/clicking noise.. it was the metal brake sheild.. just bent it with the crowbar..

1 - 13 of 13 Posts