Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i need some help guys!

my mx6 RS has been idling like crap for the past month. Actually, it's been running poor ever since i changed the timing belt. i'm positive the timing is dead on and set to factory spec. For some reason though, the car seems to idle way too low, at about 500 rpm w/o air and 700 w/ AC. Usually, the car runs just fine despite this. However some days (especially when the engine is warm already), the car tends to stall out when i pull up to stop signs, etc. And it shakes like no one's business when it does this. So what do you guys think? vac leak? fuel filter?

speaking of the shake problem, is it normal for my car to vibrate when the AC is on. I mean, our Camry does that, but I'm not sure about these cars. It only does it when the car is in gear. If i shift in neutral or park, the vibration goes completely away.

Any thoughts, suggestions, and general comments welcome.
Trent

·
Registered
141 Posts
I had that shake problem, turned out i needed 5 new engine mounts.. The engine would vibrate a certain way because the old mounts were torn and worn out so when the a/c was on, the idle would hit that sweet spot to make it vibrate.. it actually runs a hell of alot smoother with the new mounts, better pep.

·
Registered
82 Posts
my mx6 RS has been idling like crap for the past month. Actually, it's been running poor ever since i changed the timing belt. i'm positive the timing is dead on and set to factory spec. For some reason though, the car seems to idle way too low, at about 500 rpm w/o air and 700 w/ AC. Usually, the car runs just fine despite this. However some days (especially when the engine is warm already), the car tends to stall out when i pull up to stop signs, etc. And it shakes like no one's business when it does this. So what do you guys think? vac leak? fuel filter?
man the same thing happened to me its been about a month since my timing belt and water pumo werr changed....now my idle is horrible but it runs fine besides a stall here and there...the person that did it for me said they found a vac leak and pluged it(before it idle nice) im hoping the vac leak has something to do with it. If anyone out there knows any info or anything on this would be greatly appercated. Thank you

·
Premium Member
7,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've heard that vacuum leaks are not an uncommon source of this problem. I noticed my PCV valve was loose, so i seated it better in the valve cover, and it seems to be running better after doing just that. and rabbit, i.......ummm........changed the belt myself. :p so i'd have to demand myself to do a cool lazer thing. does a timing light count? lol.

Trent

edit: wait, i just realized you were talking to the other dude. my bad.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
i have the same problem., i have been told it is due dist timing, but i fixed that, then i fixed the screw on the TB, still nothing better. i think i might need to check the vacum, you should check that.

·
Registered
82 Posts
the thing with mine is it runs fine almost perfect just the idle and slowing down sometimes it stalls but it run drives good so could this still be the timing being off?

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
sounds like the idle screw to me, maybe a vacum... you can easliy have the vacum checked with a gauge

·
Registered
82 Posts
you can easliy have the vacum checked with a gauge
hey you think you can help explain this to me, that would be awsome...oh yea tht was the quickest response i ever got lol good looking man.

·
Registered
22 Posts
i have the same dam problem but my car doesnt die out just yet, it shakes like hell and it seems like its going to die out but just keeps on shaken even more. like the rpm jump irraticaly from 500-1000. ive checked my codes and vacuum lines. and also changed my fuel filter and still nothing. but i know when u turn on ur ac it takes power from the crank and it lowers ur rpm so when at idle theres a solenoid idle valve that activates and speeds up ur idle. mine does the same thing soo i have no fuccen clue. let me know if you have fixed it.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Well I have that problem, and I pulled out my spark plug wires, and boy was i surprised to find that 4 out of my 6 wells were filled with OIL. Spark plug well number 6 was the worst though, oh man i pulled out the wire and boy that was dripping oil all over the place, so I took my valve covers off of my engine, and I am now in the process of replacing my valve cover gaskets, my spark plugs and so forth. When I am done later today, I will let you know If i idle like crap, or if it runs smooth again. Check the spark plugs, your vavle cover gaskets might have gone.

·
Registered
22 Posts
i had that problem a couple months ago. but my car didnt sputter like it is now. i changed my plugs and wires and the head gasket and also did a compression on it and everything was still fine. i cant think of anything else.but my tranny.

·
Premium Member
7,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hmmm.............I'm hoping you're not right about the tranny being the issue. Because my "HOLD" light started blinking this morning. That, as they say, blows. It still shifts about normal (some hesitation), so I haven't had a chance to look at it. I'll let y'all know.

Trent

·
Registered
22 Posts
my problem solved

well i just swaped in some new wires and ohm tested my old wires and dam one wire was lower than the rest so i think that wire was arcing. prolly damaged insulation. but all i know is i can get bak to engine detailing.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.