Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just got a muffler...4 inch tip, and a cold air intake, i was wondering how much horsepower i got thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,660 Posts
More than likely there are still large restrictions in your car's exhaust system. The diameter of the tip really has less bearing than the internal diameter of the actual muffler. The CAI will have had more of an effect, if it is a true cold air intake, not just sucking in hot air from the engine compartment. You will see more noticeable results if you modify the entire exhaust sytem, ie: headers, piping, free-flow cat, piping, muffler. These will work together to give a greater total effect than the single sum of a few parts thrown on at random. I'd say you picked up 5-10 horsepower at best. The increase is based on a percentage of your engines stock output, not set figures per mod per car.

If you improved total exhaust gas flow by 20%, that would give you at best a power increase of about 5% - ie: 8hp in your case.

What does the "butt-dyno" tell you?

Rabbit
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
its a true cai, i haent put em in yet should it sound better though?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
275 Posts
You got 138 hp.

What you really need to do is buy a bunch of stickers. Preferably red and yellow ones. Bright ones, too. These are the real power adders! ;) :p :lol:




Seriously, you wont see a huge gain with these mods. You drive an LS. I think that is the KL03 engine (V6). They come stock with 164 hp and typically put down ~140-145 hp to the wheels. Just a muffler and a CAI aren't going to give serious gains. They will help open up the breathing (maybe - not sure on just the muffler).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,660 Posts
anomaly said:
You got 138 hp.

What you really need to do is buy a bunch of stickers. Preferably red and yellow ones. Bright ones, too. These are the real power adders! ;) :p :lol:




Seriously, you wont see a huge gain with these mods. You drive an LS. I think that is the KL03 engine (V6). They come stock with 164 hp and typically put down ~140-145 hp to the wheels. Just a muffler and a CAI aren't going to give serious gains. They will help open up the breathing (maybe - not sure on just the muffler).
Thanks for the clarification......:E

Rabbit
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,974 Posts
anomaly said:
I think that is the KL03 engine (V6).
Yes.... :)

hp and torque cary slightly year to year. Nothing to right some about. The CAI should add a bit more sound to the car. It did on mine before I had done any exhaust work. This is not an engine that sees huge gains from any one mods. But by doing several it adds up. A CAI is certainly a hgood place to start. With the muffler you certainly could get a larger diameter madrel bent exhaust from cat back and get some extra gains. It's not necessarily that expensive. There's plenty of info on this site. Use the search feature in the upper right and loko around in the performance sections. You'll learn a lot.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
alright well i had to start somewhere i can only drive to school right now, so its not like i exatly need the horses right now since i wont be racin her too soon...but will she sound good for the ladies?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,660 Posts
yankeefandy said:
alright well i had to start somewhere i can only drive to school right now, so its not like i exatly need the horses right now since i wont be racin her too soon...but will she sound good for the ladies?
That depends on whether the ladies like rice-boys that buzz around reving their engines at each other. A 4" tip is wildly excessive IMHO. My engine has 11-1 compression and is pumping out 200+hp and I have 2 1/2" tips. OK, so I have 2, but err.....

Rabbit
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
but like just driving will it sound good, i dont think it will be too loud will it?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,660 Posts
yankeefandy said:
but like just driving will it sound good, i dont think it will be too loud will it?
MX6's don't generally get that annoying high rev *BUZZ* on some 4cyl cars (civic, cough). Just with that setup it won't be loud, no. Throw on a test pipe tho and it will sopund like a Nascar.

Rabbit
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,391 Posts
mazdarabbit said:
MX6's don't generally get that annoying high rev *BUZZ* on some 4cyl cars (civic, cough). Just with that setup it won't be loud, no. Throw on a test pipe tho and it will sopund like a Nascar.

Rabbit
Well with the exception of it will have two less cylinders and not have true dual exhaust with a cross over pipe. So now that I think about it, it won't sound at all like a NASCAR now will it Rabbit? ;)


The muffler does nothing at all for hp really... IMO (and it differs than most of these guys even though all are my firends) you might see a 3hp gain off ALL these mods. The intake setup on your motor is already quite good. Also, the exhaust system is VERY restrictive where the manifold mates with the block. This means headers are where you will see the most gains. A muffler just adds sound.

Happy posting man, and do search... you will find a TON of info.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
im an idiot what the hell is a test pipe, how much are they, and how hard are they to install.....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
ok i searched i got everything i need except how hard would it be to install it myself if i found one with all the hardware....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,660 Posts
aggiedj02 said:
Well with the exception of it will have two less cylinders and not have true dual exhaust with a cross over pipe. So now that I think about it, it won't sound at all like a NASCAR now will it Rabbit? ;)


The muffler does nothing at all for hp really... IMO (and it differs than most of these guys even though all are my firends) you might see a 3hp gain off ALL these mods. The intake setup on your motor is already quite good. Also, the exhaust system is VERY restrictive where the manifold mates with the block. This means headers are where you will see the most gains. A muffler just adds sound.

Happy posting man, and do search... you will find a TON of info.
I can drink you under the table.

Cheers

Rabbit
 
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Top