Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a filter already but i was thinking about getting the Hotshot intake for my 5 speed. But people have told me that its bad cause it can suck up water and dirt. Is that true? Have any of you who have it, had problems with it.

G

·
Well, speaking from expirence I found that is has to be very wet or very dusty where you live. When you put on the intake they say point it towards the left front fender in order to prevent a lot of those things getting in there. If you have any problems with it rainging where you live or being very dry DO NOT GET ONE. I have a PRM now. But never had any trouble with my Hotshot.

Trevis

·
Registered
118 Posts
I'm gonna get flamed big time by Hot Shot owners.

If you already have a K&N cone filter or something similar, you can make a CAI + VAF to TB elbow entirely from the plumbing department at Home Depot. It will cost less than 1/4 the price of a Hot Shot. The ABS plastic also stays cooler than the metal Hot Shot tubing.

If you want more info on how to make it send me an Email at my Yahoo! address.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Night_Raven said:
...If you have any problems with it rainging where you live or being very dry DO NOT GET ONE. I have a PRM now. But never had any trouble with my Hotshot.

Trevis
I disagree. I have had my Hotshot for about 3 months now. I go to school at Penn State where we get a lot of snow and inclement weather. I've driven with my Hotshot through heavy rain where there has been 1-2 inch deep pools of water across the road, and I've not had one problem with water ingestion thus far. However, I did make an extension for winter for the splash guard, but that was more to keep the filter from dragging on frozen slush and being damaged. This extension was not added until after the first snow storm, so I drove through rain and slush without it and did not have any problems.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I also go to school in Penn State but i live New York so im afraid of having to deal with the snow and rain. BigJeff, how much did you pay for the extension. Blastmaster_c, how does it look. Which is better, CAI or the Hotshot?

·
Registered
118 Posts
MX6Princess said:
Blastmaster_c, how does it look.
It's made out of 3" ABS plumbing parts, black rubber couplers, and hose clamps. It puts the K&N cone filter way down by the tranny just like the Hot Shot. I'll post pics as soon as I can. Trenton (SuperFlyPGT) from PNW did his intake long before me. I took some of his ideas and made a few changes for my own CAI. Here's a pic and more info; http://www.geocities.com/pgt96.geo/trenton/intake.html

Which is better, CAI or the Hotshot?
People will argue this 'til the cows come home.
Even without considering the difference in price, I still like the Home Depot style CAI better. Mainly because the plastic doesn't heat up as bad as the metal. Also, it's easier to customize an intake that you make yourself. (It seems no two are the same.)

Here's a home made intake that's totally different from mine. It puts the filter up by the VAF similar to PRM.
http://www.mtco.com/~westcj/Brian/k&n.htm

·
Registered
73 Posts
Instructions

Do you happen to have the instructions on how you did your custom CAI available? I just ordered my borla catback and now want to do an intake, but i don't want to spend the money and buy one. This sounds great. Any help would be appreciated.
Jon
[email protected]

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
HOTSHOT
http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Shop/5212/Piping.JPG
PRM
http://www.geocities.com/jpmx6gt/PRMIntake.jpg

If you get a lot of rain and or snow, and certain arear where you're from tend to get flodded by more than 4" or rain,t then i would definitely get the PRM over the Hotshot. I have the Hotshot and it's awesome, definitely helps the engine a little. But the downside is that the filter does get scraped and damaged and it does suck up water. My car already hydrofroze once, but luckily, the people at Probetalk helped me fix her...(that was before MX6.com). So it'a all up to you. If you want to see more pics of the hotshot, go to my site, under installation pages, under HOTSHOT INTAKE.

·
Registered
158 Posts
JPMX6GT said:
My car already hydrofroze once, but luckily, the people at Probetalk helped me fix her...
JP, how did you know that your car hydrofroze and how did you fix it? I'm just curious in case it ever happens to me.

MX6Princess, the extension that I made is for the splash guard. It costs like $5 to get a piece of plexi-glass and then I used a heat gun to fit it under the car. All it does it protect the filter from receiving direct blasts of rain/slush and from road debris or damage from dragging it. I go to the PSU University Park campus. Are you here too?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts