Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have to pass emissions here in a few months, i have a lot of work to do in the visual department, but i dont even know if i'll even pass the smog part with the fuel setup im running :p

anyways, I dont have any experience with this, and didnt find anything on a quick search. how would one go about getting the CEL to illuminate when the key is turned to on, but to go out once the car is running?

·
Registered
334 Posts
If the problem is just the CEL being on, you can just remove the bulb :O! Replace it after you pass the inspection lol! That's what i did. Though, in NH, cars that are 10 years or older will still pass inspection even if the CEL is on.

·
Premium Member
5,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
well here when they do emissions, the CEL has to illuminate with the key turned to the on position though, and then needs to go away and stay away after the car is started....i might get lucky and they might not notice, but....id like to be prepared when i go in

·
Registered
234 Posts
If you want to get real tricky you could send the signal from another light to the CEL light. That way when the key is turned on it will illuminate then go off once its started.

Maybe the battery light signal wired to the CEL bulb.

·
Registered
2,449 Posts
Here it has to come on when you turn the key and shut off after the car is running.
The only simple way to do this is to piggy back that bulb from a properly functioning warning light that shuts off after the cars is running with small single strand of wire.

It is often done around here for ABS Cels.

Here is how to do it with little inconvenience and effort.

Pull the cluster out.

Find the bulb closest to it that you can run the wires from, put a piece of electrical tape along the board ex: [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8] the numbers represent bulbs and the underline the taped (of course it should be wider) any way in the example we want to do bulbs 3 and 5 (Bad cel) so you want the tape to extend passed the bulbs.

For bulb 5 you want to cover the leads on the board with electrical tape (make sure they are completely covered and the tape is on good).

Then take a single fine strand of wire (remove the coating from thin gauge audio or whatever wire and undo one strand) with both bulbs out position the wire from the #3 bulb lead to the matching (+-) #5 leads position (that's covered with tape).
Make sure the wire sits across the strip of electrical tape (Underline in example) and then cover the wire and first strip of electric tape with another piece of electric tape (this holds the wire in place and keeps it from coming into contact with anything and shorting out).

Repeat with a second piece of tape and strand of wire above the bulbs for the other lead.
Then screw on the bulbs making sure the wires stay in the right position to make contact.

*The small plastic thing the problem cel bulb (#5 in example) sits in might require a bit of shaving with an exacto (small metal blade) or tiny file to fit over the electrical tape that covers the leads on the board.

Good luck and happy cheating :tup:

·
Registered
2,449 Posts
Well Dipshiitsix's idea is more, fun however more costly, more work, and possibly leading to terrorist/murder charges.

Or it might just do this:

·
Premium Member
3,355 Posts
Shit...you guys make it so difficult....I dont know how many of you have an electronics background, but all you need is a simple on delay timer circuit using the old "555" timer chip, to turn the bulb on momentarily on start up.

Its about 5 components would be piss easy to build if thats all you had to worry about...for a minute there I thought you really had to pass the CO and HC test......

·
Premium Member
4,334 Posts
Relay the globe from another light in the cluster that still turns on with key an off when running.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts