Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
No need for it, as you already know.

And there isn't that much room as evident by people running into hood clearance issues when fitting an external wastegate.

Besides, top mount manifolds only make sense when the chosen turbo is too large to fit down low.

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
Besides lack of welding skill, I'm curious why not? There's plenty of room.
I'd thought of that before, but thought if i'm gonna do that, why not just do a ram horn style, and run it down.....
Theres lots of room to run it down, and less chance of burning the hood, haveing the turbo even closer to the hood.
I've seen it happen before, and I wouldn't be willing to ruin a tri-stage paint job, due to stupidity.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Besides, top mount manifolds only make sense when the chosen turbo is too large to fit down low.
i agree.. and it looks kool..

But what would i gain from doing this other than a melted hood.. with the stock turbo or the gt28r that i am going to be running.

·
Premium Member
5,011 Posts
You would be working agianst gravity.
lol

im pretty sure most think the stock manifold is well designed....... and can probably handle all the f2 can throw at it. even large turbo's fit if you just use a smaller cooilng fan. so why do more work than you need to?

besides, welding on a t3/ihi/mitsu flange is cheap and easy, just like most f2 owners ;)

·
Banned
2,630 Posts
I aint cheap with my car :)

·
Banned
2,630 Posts
:lol: :lol:

·
Premium Member
3,355 Posts
Besides lack of welding skill, I'm curious why not? There's plenty of room.
I dont like to advertise whats in the engine bay! I prefer the turbo to be out of sight

Plus I have seen people running high mounts burn the paint of the bonnet (hood) but I am sure there are probably solutions for that....

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
i've always wondered why people don't put the turbo backwards and the the exhaust coming down on the non a/c side. would also make more sense for people with a large fmic.

·
Banned
27,927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
d0zxmustang said:
You would be working agianst gravity.
:lol: No you wouldn't, it would be the same thing!:lol:

The stock turbo (or any turbo for that matter on the stock exhaust manifold) or any exhaust manifold has the turbo hanging off the ex man with little or no support underneath. It's heavy, and those 6 studs don't do a whole lot in an aluminum head.

With a top mount- I'm talking a U shaped (use your head dummies) exhaust manifold in which case you could locate the turbo anywhere you want for height and have zero issues with the hood. Proper oil drainage is about it. You could anchor it to much more including the block and it would be much more stable. One thing you would have to worry about is how you anchor it and be thoughtful of it being too rigid and breakign welds. Other than that you'd be golden.

Make your primaries as long or as short as needed and compensate for possible lag using smaller diameter piping. If done correctly with some thought this can used with our 12v sohc stump puller and not have ridiculous lag.

As for burned hoods- as said you could locate the turbo as high or low as you need to and if you really wanted to you could buy a heat shield for the exhaust side that is available anywhere and especiial eBay on the cheap. No burned hoods even if you have a huge GT40 like many many mnay mnay mnay properly built Hondas with sick paint jobs to boot.

Come on guys use your heads ^ You can do anything you want if you put some thought into it!

The problem here is being stuck in a box and never travelling elsewhere. With a top mount you'd have so many more advantages for pretty much everything. Hell you (WE) could even do a side mount like plenty of S2000 turbos ex mans are ran every day.

You really can do anything you want as long as you take into account bends and angles, keep things smooth and fluid and travelling well, move only what is necessary, change things around that are much wiser elsewhere, have fun, and do what you want:

Again, see "box".

·
Registered
2,449 Posts
I think the engine bay heat might be increased running a top mounted turbo and the exhaust would be even longer then it is, many cars have the turbo between the block and fire wall. I guess it keeps the intake manifold cooler having it in in the air flow behind the rad, also there exhausts are shorter (flow better), but there is allot more engine heat, so I guess top mount wouldn't matter on our cars, Except they are not Dohc which means our plugs and wires aren't in the middle of the head, How would our pug wires do with a turbo right next to them (some sort of heat shielding would definitely be required). Then the coolant and oil return lines will have to be run/extended around to manifold to reach the fittings bellow the manifold, this would probably require using braided lines instead of the rubber ones you can use when mounting the upgraded turbo bellow the manifold.

The F2T block is better set up to run the turbo under the manifold then above.

When the guy with the shop next door gave me a CT26 (the hot side housing on the CT26 is huge and for no reason) for a brief minute I though of cutting a stock manifold at the flanges, flipping the manifold over and welding it back to the flanges, then cutting a whole in a hood and installing a Subaru hood scoop to house the giant ugly turbo (NOT ON ANY OF MY CARS, OF COURSE!). But then I did a bit of reading up on the CT26 and came to my senses (Sorry Larken).

-------------------------------------------------------------------

A better question would be why do those running stand alone, larger turbo's, custom manifolds .... not flip the turbo around ? -Intake on passenger side, this would make plumbing a front mount intercooler much easier and more efficient. This also makes fitting larger turbo's with internal waste gates easier (With cooling fan modification).

Even those running a Vaf (me included) can untape the wire harness at the Vaf plug wires and along the fire wall, tape up the harness without those wires, and then run the Vaf wires and plug to the front passenger side.

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
The point that a lot us are making is that with the F2T there is no need for any of what you just posted.

With cars such as HONDAs' which are not factory turbocharged a manifold must be made, bought or modified to fit a turbo.
And when forced to make changes people will come up with many different solutions.
Eg, side mount, top mount, rear mount (HA)

The F2T already has a well made (not perfect though) manifold that will probably never crack.
And can be modified to suit many different turbo's.
The only compromise of any real concern on the F2T turbo system that I can see is the oil return line.
Which with a large turbo can be dealt with by dumping the return back into the sump instead.

Basically the stock F2T manifold has it won over fancy stainless steel or cast elbow manifolds.
In function, durability & cost. The only thing it really lacks in is looks.

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
These are all things I've thought about doing, but never got around to, mostly because of CA smog regulations.

But, those days are over now. Once the SDGC concludes we can do pretty much whatever we want with the F2T and not have to worry about it.

·
Registered
2,449 Posts

Come on guys use your heads ^ You can do anything you want if you put some thought into it!

The problem here is being stuck in a box and never travelling elsewhere.

change things around that are much wiser elsewhere, have fun, and do what you want:

Again, see "box".
These guy's aren't thinking outside the box they are turbo charging an N/A tune car and putting the turbo in the only place it fits under the already crammed hood, for them to think outside the box they'd have to try and fit the turbo down there under the manifold where there is no room, even with the tiny half rads. The biggest problem is how low the manifold comes out of the head and how short the block is, without making crazy bends in the manifold it would be hard to put a turbo of that size down there without it passing the block and oil pan....

·
Banned
27,927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Again, conjecture and rhetoric with nothing backing it up. There are plenty of automobiles using well designed top mounts with little or no risk of damaging the hood, or plug wires, or radiator. You can purchase a heat resistant exhaust scroll shield from anywhere, you can purchase plug wire shields as well as spark plug boot shield as well.

As for RPM, there are plenty of engines with designs similar to ours that are doing the same thing as well. I think funhouse on here purchased a d16 manifold and used that with his 16G. JGS sells a flange for around $90 and the d16 manifolds are around $100 from eBay. This would give you plenty of options for the exhaust piping too. The only reason this hasn't been done is because nobody has bothered to do it, not because it shouldnt be done. I agree that the stock manifold is a good design but far from perfect, especially with an aftermarket turbo.

·
Banned
27,927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Yeah see..whats wrong with that? NOTHING. I have some pictures on my other PC of some well designed top mounts too. For those without A/C and PS, you could probably use a sidewinder manifold like the S2000's and face the compressor inlet towards the passenger side light. I've looked on that side and with the proper angles you could run the exhaust back out and under the mount giving you a straight shot back towards the rear of the car. There are so many ideas that nobody has ever done on this forum.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.