Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to remove the part of the exahust that goes into the cat converter. Can I take this section of the exhaust off in one piece or do I need to remove exhaust starting at the exhaust manifold? How are the pieces joined together? By crimping? And if so, what is the best way to uncrimp the sections if that's how to do it?

(MY cat has already been removed.)

·
Registered
347 Posts
if you are talking about the Ypipe then yeah it just comes off the manifolds... if its the catback part then you just need to undo the rubber fasteners...

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
ok I'll yank on it but it looks crimped on to the other tube to me...maybe I'm mistaken.

(ok, I'm obviously a green horn....the header pipe is maybe not intended to come apart easily, but I would like to get the y-tube off for better access to the EGR)

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
Y pipe is connected by 3 bolts on each exhaust header/collector(whatever you wanna call it) and a gasket, the gaskets are often glue on, with some sort of sealant. Once the bolts are off, yank at that bitch like there's no tomorrow:p :tup: good luck

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
oh, my mistake. i thought the y-pipe was the small section right behind the catalytic converter, not the ones going to the heads.

My front down pipe is constricted a little from hitting a very big rock long ways back. I'm guessing it's causing some reduced flow that may cause some excessive backpressure and drag down my power.

When I replace the downpipe, what should I go with? Bosal?

I don't think I want to spend the money and time for headers.

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
If you're just trying to get to the EGR, I would recommend going from the top and removing the throttle body and air intake assembly. This will give you better access to the coolant hoses that attach to the EGR also. I don't know that you'll be able to find an aftermarket downpipe by itself unless somebody who has aftermarket headers recently went with a turbo and is selling part of their exhaust system, but even then I doubt that they would fit the stock headers. Go OEM for now until you have the money for headers.

·
Premium Member
9,394 Posts
I completely agree with White here. Don't do anything until you can do it right. Headers aren't that expensive either, Ebay has some for $150 shipped.
You know "White" is black right? :angel:

yeah... just get some headers..
X3 but be prepared to fight the bitches for a long time if you install them yourself. I had mine installed by a shop and they still had a hell of a time with fitment and space issues.

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
I spent 15 hours over the course of 2 days installing my headers, but that included a couple other maintenance things I decided to do while everything was apart and I needed to get distracted from the utter frustration of the headers install. I think it would have taken less time to pull the whole engine, put them on, and drop the engine back in.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts