Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
cv joint went on my car, bought a new axle but cannot for the life of me get my old one off and the haynes manual is not helping just says pry it off, my friend and I just spent almost 2 hours just trying to pry it off alone...help me please and ideas or tips would be greatly appreciated thanks...it is the right hand side by the way...

·
Registered
330 Posts
The inner CV joint is fitting to the inner axle with a circlip. You have to use a long drift and a hammer to tap it off. Be patient and take your time. Getting the new one on is harder IMO as you don't want to hit the outer cv, you could damage it.

go to www.autozone.com and use their online vehicle repair guide. I believe it to be much better then the haynes or chilton manual.

·
Registered
330 Posts
I realize you are replacing the entire axle, you have to tap the inner joint off the inner axle. There are two axles, an inner and an outer. On the outer axles there are two CV joints, one outer and one inner. The inner CV joint is held on to the inner axle by a circlip, it has to be tapped off. Use a long extension and a 5lb sledge hammer. Trust me, I have changed about 25-30 of these axles over my years of fixing cars.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
sorry about that i was very frustrated last night tired and cranky and realized what you were talking about this morning...have not found a circlip though...

·
Registered
493 Posts
the circlip is whats is holding it in, you won't see it until its been pryed out. i used a 2x4 and a 5lb sledge, held it in place while friend hammered it out. prying definately wouldn't do it. had to tap the new one in also, wouldn't go in without some "coaxing". just be sure to line up the splines and if you hammer the new one in, put the old nut on the end so you don't f-up the threads.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
okay, so the exact spot that will not seperate is the axle at the intermediate bearing housing, the clip is internal and cannot be seen because it is attached to the intermediate shaft not the axle and needs to be pried appart...been told by mazda that because i do not need to return the axle i have, that i should drill a hole through the axle pass a chain through it and use that to haul it off if need be with a truck...do not like that option, but i do need a new "keeper" dust seal which need to be pried out of the way and got bent badly...

·
Registered
78 Posts
Both mine came out with just me pulling on it with my hands using my leg as leverage. Point here is that: yes, yanking on the sucker will work...by hand or monster truck. Just make sure that nothing else gets hung up on it on the way out or it's coming off too! :cry:

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
by hand is just not working really not budging at all...and cannot get the new seal "keeper" till the middle of next week, noone even knew what i was talking about finally found someone at the dealership who knew what is was, but never had one in stock or sold one

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
finally got it off the other day, what a pain in the ass that was...think that there would be a clip that you could get at to take off...just waiting on the new keeper so that i can put the new axle on.
thanks for your imput

·
Registered
78 Posts
my problem was getting the axle out of the hub...actually stripped one of those special tools that are made for doing that!!! But I digress...good luck!

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
pktaske said:
my problem was getting the axle out of the hub...actually stripped one of those special tools that are made for doing that!!! But I digress...good luck!
I am SO off topic but how did you digress ?
People use the expression lately like a fad...
I don't see how your statement took away from the issue, you are all talking about axles... you did not digress...
:shrug:

Back to the point... I probably have to do this soon... doesn't sound fun at all...
Did you find it difficult putting the new axle in?

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
have not been able to yet still waiting for the keeper to arrive should be here soon i will let you know when i get it on

1 - 13 of 13 Posts