Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

How do I take the Pulley out?! Urgent help needed.

559 views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  91gd626turbo 
#1 ·
ok I am trying to change the pulley out to change the timing belt, it seems impossible to do it at home...anyone has any idea how to take the main pulley out? please help me....its gonna cost me around $400 to have it done by the mechanic excluding towing......

this car has really become a pain in the ass and ima kick her out of my sight and house as soon as I fix it....

#2 ·
*lol* i dont understand if ya gonna bother fixin it and have everything right then why I sell it..I dont understand people that say that it doesnt make any sense..why fix all the problems then sell the car??

#4 ·
lol cause I wont get much for it then...I might as well spend hours on it and fix it or pay $500 and sell it so that at least I can get what I paid for or a bit less than selling it as it is now.....

cause I know if I fix it and then keep it later on something worse will happen like the head goes or the turbo goes again or something else which would cost more to fix.....

thats why....

till befotre this I said ahh well I fix that problem and keep it cause I like it....but now.......unbelievable how this last car of mine is ripping me off and giving me a hard time.....

now does anyone know how to take the main pulley off or should I go through and find it out myself.....:(

#5 ·
to take the main pulley off you have to undo all the bolts (there is either 6 or 8 of them, cant remember). They are 10mm from memory. Then slide the pulley off and slide the backing plate off. Good luck with it!

#6 ·
i know, but the pulley kept on spinning even though I had the top pulley locked still no luck.....

but finally I did it.....its all good.......

#8 ·
i know...the best thing is either open the starter motor and put a bib screw driver to lock the gears and the mechanics (some of them) has these special tools that they use instead of the scre driver, basically the same thing but different look. or another way is to lock the cam shaft from the cam shaft pulley, by inserting one screw driver or two in the holes on it and try to open the buttom pulley, well I did this because I didnt want to take the starter out...

At first it was not working but finally I managed to take it out and get it fixed, but I reckon I applied too much forceon the top pully and kinda bent it slihtly but managed to get it back to its original shape...hope it will be fine...

I went for a drive last night and it was fine but some noises from the timing belt area and the car was driving smooth but not much power and wouldnt speed up as normally as it should....

also not a good boosting as well as now my bov doesnt sound anymore whereas before it was but still wants the right sound cause I have the TS type 1 and its a small valve so it should be loud with stock boost...

so I am still trying to figure out the power loss, either fuel issues or dirty cooler or something or now its also from the timing area...

ima open the cover and inspect it while engine is running to see where is the noise from...

#9 ·
yer have fun tryin the starter motor method lol..... i'll tell u what some mechanics use if ur referring to the big 21mm bolt that holds the crank gear on... i dunno y'd u'd undo that to do a water pump but anyway... big breaker bar... sit it on the bolt... and have the breaker bar leaning against the chassis or some solid part of the car... crank the motor... and crack comes off the bolt... although an air gun usually does it :) esp. with our cars... the breaker bar method is usually for rwd's that are a nightmare to get to without ripping out radiators n whateva

#10 ·
lool..I got a bit confused now..hehe...ok well to be able to take the water pump out you must remove the main pulley, the one that has the bolts around it....so in order to take the pulley out we gotta sort of lock the top pulley one way or another...

ahh the starter motor...last thing I wanna do...

I reckon I should get one of those air compressors and an air gun...just to make life easier...

well the funny thing is that, the water pyump is now changed and even the timing belt...

why when I rev up it makes this shaking noise and the car wont drive kinda cuts off and the temperature goes up all of a sudden...not hi to heat up though but bit over middle...but usually its on the second line or a bit over....

now I got meself a new problem to solve...it all happened when I change dthe water pump and timing belt...and the timing belt was done as instructed in the bood....but why its like that I guess I dont know.....need some expert who had this problem...but dont think anyone ever had this problem....hehe

#12 ·
it is actually tight enough....at first it was not tight enough but i got it tight as it should be but still noises come around....well I guess I have to re-do it and check it out and see if everything is fine in there....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.