Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey peoples how goes it? So ya, how can one know if all cylinders are working at their optimum, other than noticing power loss or doing a compression test? Or how can one know of all of the cylinders get a spark? I'm just curious if there is a simple test other than sticking your tongue on the wire. HEHEHEH. :)

Thanks and LaTeR...

:eek:

G

·
0 Posts
One time I had a miss in my Wrangler, old style with carb, so I was with my dad trying to diagnose the problem... He says, "yeah, stick that screw driver in the boot of the spark plug wire while I crank it" I did; don't recommend it though because five of the six are going to give you a pretty good shock :eek: Anyway, shop manual says:
"Spark Test:
1: remove the spark plug
2: connect the spark plug to a high-tension lead [one of the spark plug wires]
3: Hold the high-tension lead and spark plug with insulated pliers 5-10mm from a ground
4: Crank the engine and verify that there is a strong blue spark, if not, replace the spark plug or high-tension lead as necessary"

The diagram looks like he's using the shock mounts for a ground... dunno

That's all I got... good luck Mexy...

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
A compression test is the best way to know if the cylinder is performing properly. You can buy a tester from AutoZone for under $30 but i"m not sure if it will fit in the rear on an MX6. I've never used mine on the V6 before.

Tyson

1 - 3 of 3 Posts