Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
27,927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took 4 injectors out of what I believe to be a 91 Probe GT, I don't know if this car falls between the grey area of being a 90 or 91. I don't know which years started to make the 330 injectors, but I thought 91 and 92. Is there a difference between the probe and MX6 as far as when they started putting the 330 injectors as far as years go?..it was a little bit of a pain to get the injectors out, and I don't want the headache of installing 310's with 310's :lol:

·
Premium Member
2,999 Posts
The 330s should be silver in color. The 310s, Black(paint). The 330s should have a part # on them of 195500-2150. I have a few sets of them sitting around.

Gavin

·
Premium Member
2,999 Posts
If you mean using them in a light boost application it shouldnt be an issue. Theyll give a little bit more room "under the ceiling" to work with while still maintaining pretty stock characteristics.

Id imagine the 190, fpr and 440s would be only for hight boost(15+) applications. Not entierly sure what your plans for the 330s are, so its hard to say.

Gavin

·
Registered
251 Posts
don't you also need the wiring harnesses for the injectors aswell? i just baught injectors out of a 91 pgt aswell to put in my 89 mx-6 and they dont fit the wiring harness on the 6.

G

·
The 330's started in '90 and went to '92.

They are silver in color, and they have a physically different plug, so you need to splice the plugs from the wiring harness onto yours.

·
Registered
4,150 Posts
FlySwat said:

They are silver in color, and they have a physically different plug, so you need to splice the plugs from the wiring harness onto yours.
u can also "modify" the 330' to work with a older plug, ive seen it done, all u do is grind down the plastik to fit in the plug, it works, but its to ghetto for me to try.

·
Registered
251 Posts
monoxidechild i thought that too just grinding down the plastic channels that are unique to the 330 injectors and away you go. would this make a good enough connnection though?
i think the tab on the front of the injectors is the same, but the sides are different if memory serves me correctly. might be pretty ghettoish but would that be better than cutting & splicing the original wiring harness?
just thinking aloud here. i am planning on putting the injectors in over the winter months.

·
Banned
27,927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
FlySwat said:

thats what I thought, so I grabbed the plugs too except there were only 3:( ...I need a 4th if anyone has one 4 sale, they are grey. as far as wires, you don't have to actually splice a HARNESS, lets get away from that because it makes it sound scary. It's only 2 wires on each plug that need to be spliced with either a wire connectot or taken out and soldered, or BOTH which would be the best idea.

BTW, I am going to be running a T Bird @ 14-16 psi

·
Registered
45 Posts
Hello all,
New to the board and this just happens to be my exact issue. :}

I also plan to find and install 330's in an 89 pgt- can anyone possibly provide more documentation on the process for making the switch {pictures would be nice}, and anyone who has done so, please post results {did it run rich, did it support your higher boost levels, etc.}
can one just take the entire wiring harness from the 90-92 f2t and swap it for the f2t wiring harness from 89? Or what about swapping the whole darn fuel rail? does the zombie chip support 330?

thanks in advance:)

Benny G
89 pgt under-stock performance cause it was an abandoned auction car that I WILL rebuild and make fast. {mostly just brake issues, plus a small exhaust leak somewhere stealing power.}

·
Registered
616 Posts
If you need any injectors, I found a junkyard here in Tyler, TX that's got about 5 PGT's with engines (complete), and three GT MX6's... (I just wanted the damn RSTB and tie bars, but they were gone on all of the MX6's. :( I did get a FMIC from a Conquest TSI for $25 though. :) They guy thought it was a radiator. :)

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
the difference lies between 88 and 89. with turbo and non...thats the big change. 88-89 has bosch connector on the injectors, both na and turbo... (i think na injectors are like 180 or 210 or something weak lol) However if you get lucky, during a few months of production in the middle of '89, bosch ran out of connectors and they contracted out another type of connector that fits on the same injectors, its what i have on my mx6(still using the stock 310's) these dont have a metal retaining ring, they have clips on the side that you push together and it pivots each side of the clip on the center of the clip and releases the connector(like alot of mazda connectors) they also used the SAME connector on some 90-92's on the water thermo sensor. I had to replace those crummy ass stock bosch ones with the boot that was everything but plyable, i was lucky enough to get a couple sets of these "other" style clips, thats what ive got on there now. If i were upgrading to the 90-92 330's, i'd just cut the old electrical connectors off, splice and solder and re-wrap everything(heatshrink is your friend)

if you want tons of fuel, you can find an 88 rx7 non turbo, they have 460cc injectors with the correct impedance(86-87 would need a resistor from radio shack). you'd have to get a regulator at that point, but those injectors fit right up.

-Eric

1 - 16 of 16 Posts