Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering, if the hood is shut, how does air get into that opening on our stock MX-6 Intakes?
Also, Can you please respond to my thread right below this entitled : How Often Should I get A Tune Up?
I'm just wondering if I should get one after traveling 15,000 KMS!
Thanks All!

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
It runs from the ground. The air dam (like on most cars my Mustang included) pushes air traveling under the car up to the intake "ram air" device. It is not really a ram air device but you know.

R

·
0 Posts
how does air get in intake

it doesn't,
ask anybody with a k&n filtercharger or a cold air intake, its the only way to go, that little hole is not sufficient to supply air into our engines

·
Registered
45 Posts
I put in a K&N filter the other day but didnt do the air intake. I had a helluva time getting the blasted filter cover thingy off. Was I doing something wrong?

PeMiL

·
Registered
475 Posts
No, that plastic thingy cover is just a pain in the arse to get on and off. Here's a tip though, make sure that little black tube is still hooked up to where it supposed to go. There is also a small black tube that hooks up behind the air filter box. Make sure that's still hooked up.
both these things can easily come on done when messing around with the air filter. Trust me.

·
Registered
257 Posts
what DOES the tiny vacuum line sized tube in the back of the OEM airbox do anyway???
mine aint connected. i have a custom CAI

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
BLUMX6 said:
what DOES the tiny vacuum line sized tube in the back of the OEM airbox do anyway???
mine aint connected. i have a custom CAI
It's simply a fresh-air intake for the EGR vent & vacuum solenoid system, not really a "vacuum line" per se. Put a small filter on it to keep dust out (perhaps a fishtank filter or small-engine gas filter...that sort of thing.)

·
Registered
257 Posts
does it effect performance at all?

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
BLUMX6 said:
does it effect performance at all?
No. If you plug it, the EGR system won't work properly and you might get a CEL (code 16). If you leave it open (no filter), you risk getting dust and goop into the EGR vent and vacuum solenoids.

EGR is enabled by the PCM used during part-throttle only and does a great job of reducing NOx emissions. At idle and WOT (where performance matters), EGR is disabled, so it's not affecting performance at all.

·
Registered
257 Posts
oh. cool. thanx. screw it then. i'll plug it.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Are you referring to the plug thing that fits into the side of the air intake? I dont remember any tubes...

·
Registered
257 Posts
no, there's a small tube. its the same size as our vacuum lines. goes into the factory airbox itself on the top half towords the rear where the VAF connects.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts