Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've replaced axles, intake manifolds and the such but never done a clutch. I know this job is mostly labor as the parts seem cheap. Can I make a go of it with a weekends worth of work? I don't have an engine lift and don't want to bother with one so that's a deal breaker right there I guess if I need one.

'93 5-speed LS

·
Registered
12,045 Posts
If you've changed your axles and done an IM, then you should be able to change your own clutch.

Instead of an engine hoist, you can use a jack with some wood on it to hold the motor up once you unbolt the tranny.

·
Registered
4,460 Posts
I've done a tranny swap with only two floor jacks :lol:

But yeah, if you can pull the axles, remove all the stuff in the way on the driver's side of the engine bay, and loosen alot of bolts... it won't be hard.

·
Registered
947 Posts
I did mine useing a jackstand and 2by4's, it was a bitch but it can be done and a alot of swearing, it took my friend and i about a day and a half, but we were kinda fucking around alot also

Reactions: pktaske

·
Premium Member
10,652 Posts
its mostly time consuming, not difficult.

barring any frozen bolts, or shearing off any of the bolts in the block, it should be cake as long as you are organized. (pay attention to the order and position of bolts you remove, holding the tranny to the engine... they are different lengths for a reason ;) :p

·
Registered
2,296 Posts
you all suck, 2 engine swaps, zero air tools, no electric guns either. just ole fashioned ratchets, power handle, ratchetable wrenches (they are goddesses) :E umm, test light, and a ohmmeter.

I want a air compressor so badly. oh and I have 1 floor jack })

·
Premium Member
10,652 Posts
really? oddly- i've sheared off more bolts with an air wratchet, and definitely with an impact... than i have via breaker bar.. btw, i highly reccomend buying a one-piece breaker bar. i thought they were all hype and used (and stil do mostly) a pipe over a standard wratchet, until i got one. You "feel" the bolt a LOT more through the one piece, as it has a certain amount of give itself, and you feel the bolt stretch, or start popping loose, etc long before you would with a pipe-over-the-wratchet breaker.

just wanted to add :D lol.

i find air tools most convenient for re-tightening.. especially the fien thread tranny bolts that take like 7 million turns and are usually just a little bit too tight for hand pressure. lol.

·
Registered
12,045 Posts
I've never used a real braker bar. It's always either the 2' jack handle or the 6' piece of fence pipe I have laying nearby.

I've never broken a stud off with my impact gun. Round some heads over, but never snapped one off.
Goatcrapp said:
i find air tools most convenient for re-tightening.. especially the fien thread tranny bolts that take like 7 million turns and are usually just a little bit too tight for hand pressure. lol.
Don't forget to thread it in by hand some first so you don't cross thread it!

·
Premium Member
10,652 Posts
Fastest95PGT said:
I've never used a real braker bar. It's always either the 2' jack handle or the 6' piece of fence pipe I have laying nearby.

I've never broken a stud off with my impact gun. Round some heads over, but never snapped one off.

Don't forget to thread it in by hand some first so you don't cross thread it!
lol very true.. i once crossthreaded a head bolt.. NOT FUN :(

maybe the impact gun i am using... not 100% certian on this, but iirc, it had 600lbs reverse tq, and on a few occasions i would just wind up with a bolt head in my hands... lol. I don't recall if i used heat or not at those times, so it might be a few contributing factors.

for bolts/ studs that tend to stretch, i always use the solid bar - i really like the feel of it... for stuck axle nuts - i don't have a fence post un fortunately, but use a nice thick piece of plumbing steel pipe.. heh.

·
Registered
12,045 Posts
My impact gun I would guestimate to be maxed at about 100 ft/lbs of torque which has been plenty for me so far.

It's got 3 settings as well to lessen the torque if I were working on things like VC bolts or something else that I know is likely fragile.

·
Registered
2,296 Posts
mines 1000 ft/lbs of torquey goodness :E it also costed me $450 CDN but like i said i don't have an air compressor, i can only use my air gun when i'm at work (i'm still on workers compensation :()

·
Premium Member
10,652 Posts
Koala8998 said:
mines 1000 ft/lbs of torquey goodness :E it also costed me $450 CDN but like i said i don't have an air compressor, i can only use my air gun when i'm at work (i'm still on workers compensation :()
holy crap - 1000ft/lbs? in reverse? that's insane. my wrists are sore if i pound on a nut too long with the one i currently have... i couldn't imagine 1000 ft lbs for any long period of time hammering.

·
Registered
12,045 Posts
If you're not planning on a FI or N2O setup, I'd recommend the Stage I clutch from either Spec or Clutchmaster. Otherwise, I have none that I would suggest.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts