Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive been having some misfiring problems under high boost, so i replaced my coil, wires and plugs. still had the same problem. checked timing and codes, all seems in order. after that i regapped the plugs to around .038 or so, and it seems to be running better now. i was just wondering what all you guys with a lot of mods are gapping your plugs at and if i could be doing any damage running that size gap

·
Premium Member
7,327 Posts
I have never needed to gap a plug that was specified for my vehicle. From my experience they have always been good to go straight out of the box - they are pre-gapped from the factory. I find the whole process of gapping rather crude and prone to error. If you're not careful you can damage the electrode with your gapper.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Same here, I have never had to gap mine. But I do check them every time I get new ones to put in. They are always gapped at .040 and I have never had problems. Make sure though that if you do gap them with a tool, DO NOT make contact with the electrode as Magik8 said.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I was having really really bad misfire at boost when i first got my car. Some punk kid was the previous owner. So checking the easy things first i found that my plugs where gapped from .020 to .040. I put them to .034 and now its all better.

·
Premium Member
7,327 Posts
I still think changing plug gap with the cheapo keychain gappers is asking for trouble. I will guarantee that you will have zero problems by taking the plugs out of the box and installing them with the stock gap of .44. I will say it again, there is no need to gap plugs if they are specified for your vehicle.

·
Banned
27,927 Posts
Dyoel182 said:
My NGK plugs come set at .44 so they stay there. I have an MSD system keeping it from blowing out though.
IIRC the workshop manual recommends .39 to .43 :D

I bought one of those nifty overpriced handheld gappers at Harbor Freight. Actually it wasn't overpriced at all, like $6.00

·
Premium Member
1,535 Posts
well SI units: 1 - 1.1 mm (0.393...- 0.433..)

obviously two rounding methods that is it ....

R u guys still using inches and feet ..... :D

Peace
NSXR

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
yep don't bother gapping, about the only thing that u can do with your spark plugs is get a step colder plug for your higher boost...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts