Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was just wondering what quarter mile times people here have been running lately.. or what was your best effort? estimations?..

im considering going down to calder one day soon.. im thinking i'll run a mid 15, i dont really mind as long as i dont run something more than 15.99..

·
Registered
237 Posts
if i had the money to goto motoplex i'd take mine for a run, but i dont im a poor ass :p What sorta times would a manual 91' 1st gen running about 8-9psi run?

·
Registered
592 Posts
I've only played with my G-tech meter so far, and was doing around 0-100 in 6.3s and 1/4mile in 14.8 at about 95MPH.

I hope to take my car to the drags before the end of the year. It isn't set-up for drag racing though, very tall gearing (still in 3rd at the end of the 1/4), heavy flywheel (for offroading), heavy mud tyres and dragway centerlines.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Hey XsKaPe - post again if you decide on a date for calder - my car is pretty stock but I'd like to take it for a run anyway :)

·
Registered
642 Posts
im hoping to be in the mid-high 14's with my parcel shelf/sub/box/speakers removed (all up it weighs bout 30kg's!) and 15psi.

brad, i think ur car qill be quicker than a 15.99, and quicker than 15.5. id say the low 15's. how do u think i'd go at the track?

·
Registered
642 Posts
oh, i almost forgot. i have dragged 2 of my mates cars that have been track proven. i dragged my mates vn 5L exec. had him by 3/4 a car at 140km/h. he ran a [email protected] (149km/h). i was on 10psi. ran my other mate on ballarat road (exactly where we ran brad) to 130km/h and he had a bonnet length on me. he ran a [email protected] (152km/h). also on 10psi (in third gear by the way) those are what make me think i will be in the mid/high14's.

JeTx5, what is ur low boost setting, and what is ur high boost setting? when are u running next man, koz u have the wolf installed now dont u? i gotta see it!

·
Registered
481 Posts
My best was 15.95, with stock intake/engine/exhuast, with my stereo gear, tyres on my 17 inch wheels were struggling for grip until 6000 rpm in 1st (I need better ones obviously).

Looking at getting a cat back exhaust done very shortly, with other things to follow.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ttx5, yeah i'll try organise a cruize down to calder when i decide to go.. im sure a few others will want to come aswell - we can meet up at a petrol station somewhere and drive down there together.. i'll also bring a digicam and take some movies/pics.. and somebody has to film me when i run! hehehe..

nick - honestly i think my car is good for a low 15 (if im lucky), but i dont want to say it because the rule is that people are usually dissapointed with the times they run 1st time on the strip... thats why im convincing myself my beast will run a high 15, either way, like i said, im only gonna be dissapointed with something more than 15.99..

how do i think you will go? well after last nite, if u were only on 9psi, then id say your defently good for a mid 14 with a good launch once u wind it up to 15psi..

hehe, what happened last nite anyway nick? i had u off the line! i was shocked... i figured u werent trying until u realised i gunned it.. damn boost cut in 3rd, i was just about to shift and then BEEEEEEEEEP and u flew past me...

·
Registered
642 Posts
yeh, got caught napping i guess. i almost stalled it off the line by popping the clutch at 1000rpm. i was almost even with ya as i changed into 4th (did u hear the flat change), then i just shot past u! i figured u copped boost cut. u jumped about a car length on me at the start, and i thought u were gone (i didnt make much ground on u in 2nd gear). third gear is where i caught u. funny how we shifted at completely different times (i was watching ur car as u were changing gears and it was totally different to when i shifted). i was shifting at just over 5000rpm's as i didnt want the oil pressure to get too high (koz of the leak). man ur screamer pipe is LOUD! just this high pitched whistle/scream/howl, it sounds farken awesome man!

lol, cant stop laughing at u in the middle of the intersection......that was a classic.

the funny thing is, my mate with the vnss that ran 14.7 only has an exhaust/extractors and a pbr heavy duty clutch, and he expected like mid-low 15's (his first time at the track). the key is not to wheel spin. he had 9 runs and he didnt spin on any of em. all of his times were consistent aswell.

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
[email protected] mph with a 2.495 60 footer.
That was about 10psi, now running 15. Should be interesting when I take it out again soon. Might see if I can borrow some rims with 235's on them, might not turn corners, but its only a straight line anyway :)
Townsville drag strip = dirt track :) Well just about anyway.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
lol nick...

yeah, the traffic light incident was a classic... i was gonna zoom through, then it hit boost cut, and i saw you brake, i was doin like 130 i think.. if it wasnt for the ABS i would have stopped on the other side of the lights.. hehe

before i go to calder, i have to practice my launches.. because i still havent had a go at properly launching it since fixing my dump pipe.. ive been taking it easy because i know it will just light up.. with my old dump i could get (what i thought were) really good hard launches because it was so damn laggy!!!.. i also gotta remove boost cut and hopefully knock up a CAI..

concerning our run - (which i must say i loved by the way, dont know why but it makes me laugh everytime i think about it)... i was trying to shift about 4900 because i usually hit boost cut at exactly 5000.. maybe we were shifting at the same rpm, but it looked different because our cars pull so differently... even if i didnt hit boost cut, you would have had me sooner or later.

im glad you like my wastegate!.. hehe, makes me proud!.. i think its my favourite thing about the car to be honest.. but i think it sounds alot better when your on the side of the road, not in a car next to me..

i liked your flutter, sounded cool.. its almost like mine eh? but mine sounds a little more throaty

·
Registered
481 Posts
black_tx5 said:
the key is not to wheel spin. he had 9 runs and he didnt spin on any of em. all of his times were consistent aswell.
Strangely I did 0.2sec better with wheel spin. Not pretty at all but somehow it got me down the end quicker. (Yes, better tyres and as a result less wheelspin would be better still).

·
Registered
642 Posts
not sure bout that one.....possibly ur initial launch was better, and u only lit the tyres slightly.ie, instead of being ultra cautios not to spin, u gave it a bit more throttle, and slightly broke traction, but it was still over all quicker. what was the difference in 60ft times between that run and ur other runs?

brad, yeh, i loved that run aswell. to be honest i still dont know y i didnt stall it up, and race it off the line.....must have been day dreaming or something! u still going microtech? im keen on it, and ill hopefully have the money by the end of summer. mega flutter and 13's here i come!!!!! man ur car is gonna hammer once u go amm.....the turbo is just dying to be boosted and the engine is dying to be tuned for the turbo.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
nick,

AMM is defently on the current wish list - and it will be microtech. if i do get it, its the last thing i would do to my car under the bonnet, the only other thing i want is some good suspension work.

... then its probably time to get a daily driver and save this malaka for the weekends.

haha.. i will be able to afford it by about the same time as you no worries i rekon.. think they'll do a group discount? hahaha.. then me + u + david can go fluttering everybody in our hood, f2t style.

·
Registered
5,273 Posts
i did a 18sec pass and got a clip of doing 19.3 in my sig :)

the key to launching is to lauch hard with out doing a stupid burnout or a 350meter burnout 18sec pass like someone i know :)

·
Registered
461 Posts
My low boost was 10psi (103mph) the highest i ran it was on 14psi(108mph) due to the stock injectors maxing out.

·
Registered
4,334 Posts
I don't know... if I could borrow someones G-Tech then I would tell you.

If I get under 15's I'll be happy. I have a mate who consistantly runs 13.3sec... damn AWD's and he beats me by about 6-7 car lengths when I launch well and by about 15-20 when I don't :D

Tripharn

1 - 20 of 27 Posts