Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has any body made some 1/4 mile runs in a stock V6 MX-6 w/ mtx? The reason I ask is that my friend and I (in the 93 MX-6) were racing another friend's 2001 Silverado LS and got spanked. The Silverado LS is 16 flat in the 1/4 mile. I've heard the MX-6s run as fast as 15.5 but the latest I read was 16.1.

The whole story...

We lined up with the Silverado on a straight FM road and counted off the start. 3-2-1 GO! We had the truck off the line but it caught and passed us by 40 mph or so. It's front wheels were probably 50 feet ahead of ours by the end of the 1/4. Not satisfied with my friend's driving ability I talked my into letting me drive. I dropped the clutch at about 2500 rpm and shifted the same way I do my MR2...Full throttle, never let off. Even power shifting the Silverado still had us by 35-40 feet.

Anyway, it there something wrong with my friend's MX-6 or is it just one 0f the 16.1 sec cars?

G

·
Hey. I own a 93 Mazda Mx6 Ls with the v6 standard. I've never done 1/4 mile exactly but I have had a friend clock me. The car went from 0-60 in approximately 7 seconds. Don't know if that helps you any, and if I ever do a 1/4 mile run, I'll let you know the results.

·
Registered
352 Posts
'93 should run a aprox 15.5 with a good driver. I hear somewhere between '95 and '97 Mazda added more equipment and made them a slight bit slower, that might be where you hear/saw the 16.1 from.. but thats just a guess.

My car performance wise is basicly stock exept for 16" rims and High Performance tires. I might get it clocked soon, so if I do I'll let you know the numbers.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So is my friends MX-6 messed up? When I drove it I shifted at 7000 rpm and didn't let off the gas enough for the rpm to fall below 6500 so I basically got a new drop-clutch start with every shift. It was faster than lift-throttle shifts but still pro'ly about 16.1-16.2 based on the Silverado's lead (the Silverado runs 16 flat).

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
does he have a stereo? How many people in the car? And yes it needs a tune-up and maybe an air filter. I got beat by a Silverado once, but it had a chip, was dropped, intake, exhaust blah blah blah and ran a 14.2! Tell him to get the car looked at. The shift points should be in order 7000, red line all the way up from there. YOu pop the clutch, and let the car go through the power band!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Back in Sept. 1999 I took bone stock 97 MX6 (MTX) to the strip. I had 3/4 full tank of gas, spare tire and jack, 50 lbs of text books. I manage to pull a 15.5 on the first run and 15.2 the second run. I drop the clutch at 2,800 rpm, shift at 6,300 and hold on the third till redline. :)

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok I'm stumped then...Oh well, its not my car, right?

G

·
im actually a gm guy trying to learn a little about mx-6s for my friend that has one... what is the powerband on the car supposed to be... according to the sales brochure what is the power that car pulls (horse and torque) and at what rpm???? im not sure but if your shifts werent droppoing you below 6500 on a car with a 7000 redline you may have already been past your power band or at least so far into it that you didnt get to utilize it properly.... just a guess..... i could be wrong though... if i knew the power numbers i would be more certain.... and if i am wrong someone please correct me..... im here to learn.....

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The 93 MX-6 that I was driving hit 164 bhp @ 6000 rpm and 156 lb-ft @ 4000. The later cars had more high rpm torque but over a smaller range.

What I meant by the rpm not dropping below 6500 is that I wasn't letting the throttle close fully between gears. If I had just put it into neutral the rpm would have stayed at 6500 b/c once I got the car rolling I didn't let off the gas much. Even shifting the peddle was still about half way down. Its a good way to boost your speed; the MX-6 was stock but the way I shifted it got rubber in 2nd and 3rd...Like a drop-clutch start every time you shift!

G

·
ok... the tire smoke may be what slowed you down.... you lost that power to burning rubber instead of acceleration..... just a guess

G

·
Just a thought.....

Full size trucks are not as slow as they used to be. Let's face it. They are really getting fast now. I have a 94 MX-6 LS V6 that has outrun more cars in the same class than it has lost to. However, I have been outrun by a stock full-size GM. There is probably nothing wrong with his car. Just a worthy, yet surpirising adversary.

P.S. You are shifting way too late in 1st and 2nd. Take the car out for a drive. Floor it through first and second. You should notice a big power loss @ 6,200 to 6,500 rpm's. However the torque curve in third and fourth flattens out and allows you to maintian power all the way to red-line. Try it and let me know what happens. Of course that only applies to a stock MX-6.

Rob

·
Registered
48 Posts
GM Trucks

My sister has a 2000 Chevrolet silverado 4.8 single cab sport side with true dual flows, and let me tell you that truck is fast. I have a 93 mx6 ls atx I know its slower than 5speed but this truck tore me a new one I didnt have a chance in hell! I wish I had her truck!

mx6-ls

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yeah, the new trucks are fast. The one I mentioned that beat us is the 2001 Silverado with the 327 engine and computer controlled gearbox. The 4.8 is quick no doubt but we still killed them...

Next time I'm hunting on the streets I'll find a new GM truck and see how my Emm hangs...Vengence, grrrrrrrrr.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts