Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whenever i start my car, or park with the engine on, or even stop at a red light..the idle seems real low to me. its idleing under 1000 revs...and it doesnt stall or anything.
If anyone knows where the proper idle should be, or if its already where it should be..just lemme know.
:cool:

·
Registered
6,038 Posts
Mine (diff gen, but still) ranges anywhere from ~650 - ~1000. As long as it doesn't try to die on you, I think you are fine.

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
You're fine. My car never idles above 1k except when cold. It's perfectly natural for this car. I believe 750 rpms is about right.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I'd say my (93 LS ATX) idles closer to 500 rpm...and amazingly enough its not shaky or wanting to die or anything!

-Ashley

·
Registered
2,664 Posts
Yeah mine idles as about 350-400, but it doesnt try to stall out either. When its cold it idles pretty high though. I had it idlin at about 3500 when I changed my water pump LOL

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
800, replaced some filters and it now sits at about 450-550

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
awesome. thanks guys i was all worried that my 6 was a bad 6.
yet again...is there ever a bad 6?

·
Premium Member
7,196 Posts
spictacular said:

never.

That doesn't sound too far off for the idle...it should be somewhere in the 700-1000 range I believe. Mine goes anywhere from 2-300 (bad egr valve) to 1200 (when cold outside). I think when I had my emissions checked, passing range was 750 - 1250

·
Registered
551 Posts
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by spictacular

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

well... mine's kinda pouty. she idles around 500, then she DOES stall... still working on a fix for that.

·
Registered
370 Posts
mines idel at like 500 with the normal V6 engine. Now i have a KLZE and it does idel at ~200, 300 when hot and dies sometimes :( it may only need a lil fix on the idel thing.

i know nothing about mecanics but i think all i have to do is play with the thing you push down when the hoods is open to make the engine rev.. right?

·
Registered
551 Posts
not a funny story but i'm going to tell it anyway: i was at autozone last night being treated like a complete moron because i'm a girl at a car store (growls), and had them check my battery and alternator. my car stalled, and they treated me like more of an idiot, like i started it wrong, or something. this car stalling thing, it's a huge pain.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
idle speed

I don't think the tachometers always read completely accurately, because mine claims to idle at about 600 rpm (below the Mazda spec) but the last time it was MOT'd the idle speed was checked using a hand held tachometer and it was within limits (sorry, I can't remember the exact numbers).

On most engines controlled by ECU's the idle speed is adjusted by manipulating pins on the Diagnostic socket. As long as it passes emissions and idles smoothly I wouldn't worry too much. While you're at the Diagnostic socket, try reading any fault codes that might be present. The ECU will record if any of the sensors are faulty.

The idle will be faster when the engine is cold. The ECU makes the fuel mixture richer to prevent detonation and the idle speed should drop once the engine is warmed up.

regards,

Ian Chequer

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Your right the ECU does make the car run richer when its cold, but this is not why the idle is higher when cold. Because if you have ever tuned a carb, you will notice that it will bogg and almost stall when your in rich but when you get it into lean it will rev right up. So what im trying to say is yes it idles higher when its cold and yes it runs richer, but its not because of the rich condition that it idles higher, the ECU just tells it to idle higher so the car will warm up faster.

methman

1 - 13 of 13 Posts