Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, im new to this board, i was referred here by probetalk.com. well, anyways, i have a 626 es-v6, but thats not the car i have a question about.

i was wondering how much boost can a relativly stock 2.2L take? im asking this because i can pick up a 91 mx-6 GT turbo from my neighbor for $500. the motor has 8k on it, and it was rebuilt with stronger parts than stock. the interior is trashed, but who needs an interior in a 1/4mile racer? at one point i believe he said he fitted a t3/4 on there, but i dont know if he ever actually did that.

next question, how much boost is the stock turbo capable of? whats a good boost controller?

anything else tahts relevant to upping the boost, please let me know! thanks

·
Registered
268 Posts
Go go for it! If the engine is that good and it's only $500 you can't lose, but it also makes me wonder what else is wrong. Anyway, the stock turbo should hold up to ~12 PSI, and if you want more than that you can look into upgrading the fuel system and turbo. Do a little searching on the boards and you can find some good examples of what people have done with their turbo 6's. BTW, what color is it? Just curious since I have a '91 as well.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i know nothing is wrong, i helped him rebuild it. he got it for $250 with a seized motor. he bought a new block from mazda, and bought all the internals, and we spent a while building it up. has a rebuilt turbo i believe, and a rebuilt atx (shitty, but for $500, cant complain). its untimely death happened when they sold it to their sons ex-girlfriend. she let her new boyfriend, who was a meth addict, borrow it. and he destroyed the interior with a tire iron. but for some reason he left the dash alone. the seats are ripped, the headliner ripped, and the door panels ****ed..but once again, for $500, cant complain! well, thanks for replying!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ohh yeah, its white! its a sweet looking car, body is in mint shape, the interior is just fuhkd. :) gotta be more creative than the computer on that one! haha

·
Registered
666 Posts
Yeah, stock turbo is good to 14 psi actually, after that it just creates so much heat that the extra boost isn't worth it. But, with a stock ECU, the boost cuts out at 12 psi. You'll have to get an upgraded ECU to eliminate the boost cut. Stock fuel delivery is good up to around 15 psi, or so I've been told by a few people. Any higher and you'll have to upgrade injectors and pump. There are many options as far as turbos go. If the engine is in good shape, I've heard of people going 17 psi with no problems on stock internals. Anything higher and I'd think about looking into forged/hypereutetic pistons, shotpeened rods. The factory mazda rings are the best you can get, according to Raw Power from the Probetalk board, and if anyone would know, it'd be him. I'd say hell yeah buy the car, btw.
Good luck.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've been running the stock turbo unlimited on 101 octane race gas now for over a year.. and with all the mods it's pulling hard, and producing around 280HP or so at the crank...

that little stock IHI is one tough hombre... I'm sure the turbo will blow soon though at that pressure!... but then i'll just upgrade to a big turbo...and keep the boost reasonable after that...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i'll go for it. it should pass all the safety and emissions shit without the interior in it. all it needs is a dash, lights, horn, and seatbelts. ill actually probably use it as a daily driver for a while to keep the miles from racking up on my 626. the 626 has 150k on it, and its feeling it in the motor, so until i can afford a KL_ZE swap, i gotta take it easy on the 626.

as for the stock boost being cut at 12psi by the computer, is there a way to unhook it from the computer and put an aftermarket boost controller on it?

umm, i cant think of anything else at the moment, but thanks for replying!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
jdre11134

send the ECU out to me and i will socket and chip your eCU with a Gforce chip that i use,

it removes the boost limiter and changes the fuel maps so that you wont have a fuel prob with the higher boost...

I have an electronics biz, so it's easy, and plus you wont get raped for $300 bones from Gforce..

email me if your interested and i will give you a price

[email protected]

I already did one for another guy in this forum, but i forgot his user id... i guess you can search on brads, and ECU, and contact the dude...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My wastegate just blew out last week and I don't want to fix it. I'm having my pcm modified by G-force this week. I hope to be able to run it after the re-mapping of the fuel and ignition without fixing the wastegate.

I picked the car up real cheap($350.00) but I spent a lot ($2000.00) getting it drivable. I just have the car to terrorize the kids in those hondas that I'm so sick of and if I get to run it unlimited that would be great! I'll bet that would be over 200hp to the wheels!

I'll keep you posted as to how it turns out.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well...I took my car down to G-Force today and had my PCM reprogrammed and they also did a friend of mines PCM also with a 88 626 5 door Turbo. Both of our cars have blown wastegates on them and were hitting the overboost fuel cutoff. The PCM fuel and ignition curves were remapped. I don't know to what degree, but they said I could probably run 16 - 18 lbs boost. That's exactly what I wanted to hear as I was already trying to run 16. That reprogramming also included eliminating the overboost fuel cut off. Now I can drive the thing without getting thrown though the windshield.

My friend didn't know what was wrong with his car. just that it kept hitting the fuel cutoff anytime you stepped on it! It's his wifes car and rarly hit it anyway.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts