Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone tell me how much it costs to fix an AC leak? My AC is blowing hot air. It could be the thermostat. I don't think its the compressor because when I switch the AC on the rpm's go up, and also compressors hardly break right? I want to get an idea before I get ripped off by some crooked machanic.
Thanks.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
There is no way to answer this question unless you know what's causing the leak. Another factor is if you still have R-12 or R-134a in your system, or did early MX-6s even have R-12?

In any case a shop is going to have to charge your system slightly to see where the leak is coming from, then do the repair.

Tyson

·
Registered
39 Posts
A/C

It depends on if you have a really bad leak or just a minor leak. If it is just a minor leak it might be cheaper to just buy cans of Freon and refill your compressor (cans run from $5-$15). If it is major you would need to replace your a/c compressor or piping.
Thanks
Zack

1993 Mazda MX-6 LS /ATX Silver
- Performance Intake
- Performance Sparkplugs and wires

·
Registered
3,092 Posts
my 93 uses R12. and freon is like $45/pound. where are you getting it for $5-15???!?!?

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Freon is indeed $45/lb if not more. The cheaper R-134a shouldn't be mixed with R-12, although some do it.

There is some generic Freeze-12 stuff that I've heard can be mixed, but I've never used it as both of my cars use 134.

Tyson

·
Registered
3,092 Posts
actually if you put R134a in an R12 system, all the oil turns to sludge and the system locks up. the R134a system uses a special oil... its part of the conversion.

·
Premium Member
10,652 Posts
i have the EXACT same problem... it only blows hot air - no matter what. i had the a/c recharged, and that didnt do anything.. but the compressor turns on, and the rpms go up slightly.. etc etc..

whats wierd with mine is: even when i put it on regular air, not a/c - it wont blow outside temp air.. it still heats it all up.

tell me if yours does this too - it should be easy to notice now that temperatures are lower...

tell me what it turns out to be also, once you get it fixed - thanks!

Lightrida said:
Can anyone tell me how much it costs to fix an AC leak? My AC is blowing hot air. It could be the thermostat. I don't think its the compressor because when I switch the AC on the rpm's go up, and also compressors hardly break right? I want to get an idea before I get ripped off by some crooked machanic.
Thanks.

·
Registered
3,092 Posts
ive heard of selector vents getting stuck before. the vent only pulls in hot air and wont switch to the cold setting. you should turn your key to ON and switch back and forth between hot a cold settings and see if you can hear the vents moving.

·
Premium Member
10,652 Posts
ok i hear vents moving when i change between floor, vent, defroster, etc settings.. i hear the whine of tiny motors...; but not hot/cold

·
Registered
3,092 Posts
im not sure about that anymore... i dont think i ever remember hearing vents on my 6. i would verify it for ya but my engine (and therefore my batter) is out of the car rightnow. any takers?

·
Premium Member
10,652 Posts
well, i've no qualms about diving under there to check if its stuck... so where am i loolking ? wheres the hot/cold air vent located? up inside near the windshield, down low, drivers side, passenger? so i have a clue at least (which is more than i can say for the rest of my daily existence! haha ! :)

thanks for the thought by the way =- didnt opccur to me that a vent may be stuck

·
Registered
921 Posts
just all of a sudden mine started to blow hot air. It worked great the other day. Does the green light that is on the buttons maybe can tell me whats wrong with it. Cuzz they are no longer turning on.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts