Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know? i know its a 15 gallon tank but whenever the gas light ont he dash turns on I rush to the nearest gas station to fill up ASAP. But then if I fill it up it only takes like 11 or 12 gallons. So does teh gas light comeo n when there is 3 gallons in your tank left? Thats still gas enough for at least 50 miles and I dont see why it would come on so early...

·
Banned
55 Posts
fuel gauge is very inaccurate in our cars, i drive 150 miles in city with first half tank and the second half only lasts 75 miles in same conditions. i can drive upto 80 miles with the light on and it takes 4-5 gallons when the light first lits.

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
On my PGT, when the fuel light comes on, I can usually squeeze between 48-50L of gas into it. With a 58L (~15gal) tank, that leaves me about 8L (2.1 gallons) or so to find a station.

That's close enough for me :D

·
Registered
806 Posts
I heard a report on American market cars before and they said that you had a lot left when the light came on in general. They did say that some of the German man. cars were just about empty when the needle said so. All of my cars over the years have had some reserve though. I tested that many times in high school.

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
Well how about this one. go fill up right when the light comes on, the difference between the amount you put in and the size of the tank will tell you how many gallons you had left.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
jd, i said i wait till it comes on and then fill up immeadiatley. but each time it seems to be different. like gallon diference sometimes 4 or sometimes even 2. I was just wondering if there was a definite answer to when the light comes on.

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
How many miles to a tank do you get?? after that how do you drive, gun it everywhere or just ease on down the road. and do you have new O2 sensors???

·
Registered
84 Posts
my fuel light usually comes on after I've used about 11.5-12 gallons. You guys might not believe this but I went 487 miles on my last tank. I ended up getting 36.4 mpg. This may have something to do with me not using my air conditioner sinse it is screwed up and it's all highway mileage. It's weird because usually I only get like 31-32 but the last two times I've filled up it's been 36 or so.

I guess there is one advantage to having the 4 cly.

·
Registered
37 Posts
how in the world do you get that good of gas milage??? i get about 18-20 and that's half highway miles and half city driving. but getting 487 miles to a tank is crazy

brenda

G

·
I have a 94LS and the most ive been able to get out of a tank is around 360miles part city part highway. I was always in fifth and drove the thing like my grandma would.
As far as the fuel light goes mine sometimes comes on at a half tank. So I now I go by the trip meter, cuz my fuel gauge always screws up.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Xamboni said:
how in the world do you get that good of gas milage??? i get about 18-20 and that's half highway miles and half city driving. but getting 487 miles to a tank is crazy

brenda
i think he managed to pull this off because he has 4 banger which is more efficient than the v6, and he copupled that with an mtx which is more efficient than an atx. Plus he may have recently had a tune up or oil change which also can affect mileage.

·
Registered
84 Posts
believe it or not I've got the atx. I think it's because I can't use my a/c and pretty much all of my driving is at about 70mph with the cruise on. It used to be like 32 or so when I would drive 75 back and forth from school(I live about 90 miles from college) but there are about 3 times as many highway patrol cars out now for some reason so all traffic in general has slowed to about 70. Amazing how just slowing down by 5mph can get me an extra 4-5mpg.

Oh but now that schools out it will probably drop back down to around 28-29

·
Registered
67 Posts
most of you guys complain about gas, and all
but my car will go 450 miles on a tank, and thats city and highway

i once rode all day on $1.76 (thats all i had)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts