Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I'm sure alot you the mx6s are dead by now in 2020, but I am looking for some advise. I recently got a quote from a local shop for $775 to replace timing belt, tensioners, and water pump and use MY parts. I'm wondering if thats an avg price, or if I should just do it myself. I'm not very expienced, but I have replaced alternators on the same block of a contour svt.
Car is a 94' ls v6 with 121k miles, I assume it has the original parts

·
Registered
81 Posts
If you are handy enough to replace alternators, you can diy. Best if you can take your time and not be in a hurry to do the work, as quite a few nuts and bolts need to be disassembled. Read up on how to set the timing marks. Other than that, it is just taking things apart and putting them back together again.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you are handy enough to replace alternators, you can diy. Best if you can take your time and not be in a hurry to do the work, as quite a few nuts and bolts need to be disassembled. Read up on how to set the timing marks. Other than that, it is just taking things apart and putting them back together again.
Do you know of a service guide that would help? Or just a haynes manual

·
Registered
7 Posts
Do you know of a service guide that would help? Or just a haynes manual
You can actually go online to MazdaBG.com, and find the whole shop manual for the K engines for free. If you go under MX-3 and to the V6 engine pdf you can find really detailed instructions on replacing the timing belt. Honestly it’s not a super hard job, and if you screw up it’s no big deal, these aren’t interference motors so you aren’t going to shoot a valve through a piston.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hey guys, I'm sure alot you the mx6s are dead by now in 2020, but I am looking for some advise. I recently got a quote from a local shop for $775 to replace timing belt, tensioners, and water pump and use MY parts. I'm wondering if thats an avg price, or if I should just do it myself. I'm not very expienced, but I have replaced alternators on the same block of a contour svt.
Car is a 94' ls v6 with 121k miles, I assume it has the original parts
Dam, and I just paid 1,200 for the same on my 93 mx6 ls about a year ago here in North Carolina

·
Registered
6 Posts
$770 is not a bad number. In fact, I'd almost guess it's just labor. I paid $500 (with parts) in 2003 and I looked up the flat rate. I remember it being 5.5 hours of labor. A full generic kit on E-bay is about $130-160 with the tensioner (needed!), so add 60% markup and that's $250 ish in parts. My first time DIY was two long days of frustration. The second time it's one day with an adult beverage or two.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts