Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so im going to buy some new redline transmission oil for my '95 stick shift mx6 - how much do i need to completely replace the oil? how do you guys do it - a funnel and rubber hose from the top of the engine?

also, what reputable online dealers carry the stuff?

thanx
--andrew

·
Registered
67 Posts
2.9qts. So just buy 3.

I was lazy and ordered it straight from the redline number. Probably could have found it cheaper had i looked some.

I just used a funnel with a clear plastic hose attatched to get it in.

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
I ordered 3 when I did mine, and ended up just a tiny bit short. I expect that the 1/4 to 1/2 extra I needed wasn't really necessary (as the car was tipped back a little) but I didn't want to risk it. So, for this reason, I would recommend 4 quarts.

Funnel and tube is what I used, as well. Except I "made" mine as I had no purchased-set to work with.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
drain plug washer?

i stopped at my local mazda dealer to get a transmission drain plug washer, and the guy says the part doesnt exist... do you replace that washer when you do your transmission oil? is it by any chance the same as the oil drain plug crush washer?

--andrew

·
Registered
67 Posts
Uhhh,

As far as i can remember, i never saw a washer around the drain plug, or fill plug. I probably would have noticed if it fell off, but it must not have. Either way, i didnt replace it, and i dont think it says any where in the manual to do that either. I may be wrong here, but you could probably just get by with using the old one. its not really a ware and tear item. <- dont hold me to that

·
Registered
387 Posts
Just go into the dealer and ask for crush washers for your transmission, and if they look at you stupid, tell them it's definitely in their parts books. My dealer knew what I was talking about after giving them a little prompting, and I got the two washers i needed for my trans along with about 100 washers for my oil pan.

·
Registered
344 Posts
You don't need to replace that washer. Just like you don't need to replace the one for the oil drain plug. (Be careful with the ones for the banjo bolt though).

No dealer I have ever been to has had them in stock anyway. They always have to order them in boxes of 50 or 100, and they want to charge you for every single one.

And yes, I did the trick with a funnel and a rubber hose. Mazda ingeniously put the full plug at a downward angle, making it impossible to just pour it in there.

You just fill up the hose, and then lift up on it to get it all in there. Takes a little while, but not too bad.

I got my redline from some place online for $7 a quart plus shipping, you can probably do better than that elsewhere.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts