Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
Depends on what you can afford and want. On a lightly modded LX/DX i'm sure a new stock clutch or maybe a stage I would work fine.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Turbobink said:
I paid ~$390 for a CenterForce Dual Friction and ~$420 to have it installed.
$420 for a clutch install, good god. I should do these on the side, and make serious extra cash.

·
Registered
4,150 Posts
drsjr1980 said:
$420 for a clutch install, good god. I should do these on the side, and make serious extra cash.
on my 1st car, a dodge colt turbo, i paid 900 bux to have the clutch done, then they put a non turbo clutch in it, and the springs blew out of the disc.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Last time the cluch went out on my 1990 MX-6 GT it costed me $600 but I needed the whole thing, not just the pressure plate (or whatever its called) because I burned it out, so the flywheel needed to be resurfaced and new everything that had to do with the cluch, except for the master cylinder. this was all OEM replacement parts also no stage 1 or 2 stuff.

Im guessing that if your cluch is just slipping it shouldn't be that much to just go buy a new pressure plate? or cluch pack? or whatever its called and get it installed. probley looking at $200 if your not going to do the work yourself.

Methman

·
Premium Member
1,770 Posts
To do a clutch properly you must replace or resurface the flywheel and the pressure plate. Normally it is best to replace the pressure plate. Also you should (as in don't skip these) replace the pilot and throw out bearing. Make sure the shop is doing these as well, you will pay more in the long run if you don't. If you don't resurface / replace the flywheel and pressure plate for example your new clutch will typically be dead in 20K miles or so.

~Chris

·
Registered
50 Posts
I put a new clutch in my 89 GL for just about $200. OEM replacement kit with pressure plate and throwout bearing from ClutchCity. Did the work myself and had it done in a day. (First time so I took a lot of extra time).

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
well the guy i took it to said that a piece of the clutch broke off...i cant remember what part it was ...i think it was some cylinder....it is all fixed but i dont know how much it would cost...what could have broke off?

·
Premium Member
7,327 Posts
mx6racingrl said:
i cant remember what part it was ...i think it was some cylinder....it is all fixed but i dont know how much it would cost...what could have broke off?
Is it really necessary to have multiple threads on this?

two words... SLAVE CYLINDER.

READ what I posted (multiple times) in your other thread(s).

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
magik8 said:
Is it really necessary to have multiple threads on this?

two words... SLAVE CYLINDER.

READ what I posted (multiple times) in your other thread(s).
LOL wow this is kinda funny :D :D :D

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
hey MX6racingrl, we are just trying to save you alot of money, the thing that is wrong with your car is actually on the outside of the transmission, costs about $20 and is very easy to get to.

anyways i don't know how much they are going to charge you for labor, but the part is $20 and i don't think the repair should cost more then $100 total.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts