Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
that's Daves car. hes a fellow canuck. ive actually seen the car in person and he told me the fibreglass work cost him around $600 cnd if i remember correctly.
i havent seen that car on the road in like at least 3 yrs.

·
Premium Member
11,480 Posts
DIY is still going to run over 100 for resin, mat, and filler.

I would not know where to start looking to find someone that does that type of work.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Stealth said:
DIY is still going to run over 100 for resin, mat, and filler.

I would not know where to start looking to find someone that does that type of work.
resin,mat,filler can be bought at bodyshops for cheap.
i think any stereo shop or body work place can do it.
the stereo shops for sure. theres some places around my area in CA.
are you thinking of getting that heather...?

·
Banned
2,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
lol...I wouldnt know where to start either stealth....it just looks so pretty....I wish I could take some lessons in fiberglassing.

Heather

·
Registered
407 Posts

·
Banned
2,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm not sure...I know I could find a shop in the ATL to do the work, if I want to pay for it. I may check into pricing after I get it painted and my brakes and suspension finished...man this car modding this is really money sucking.

Heather

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
I'm looking into doing something like that... It also helps when your really good friend(who you sold your AWD Talon Transmission to for cheap) works at a big (local) car audio shop, building boxes!

But he said stuff liek that usually runs you anywhere from $200-$1000... Depends on what type of material, paint, and so on and so forth.

·
Its not butter?!!!!1
4,968 Posts
mel_cp6 said:
the fibreglass work cost him around $600 cnd yrs.

:lol:

WHAT!!!! If I could get THAT done for $600 I'd be laughing!

try adding a zero to the end of that.. if you want a full fiberglass trunk with a motorized amp rack.. that is SO much work to do a trunk like that.

Even with nothing motorized.. expect to pay $2-3k Plus the actual equipment..

I know this guy Tim Ballie from another forum..
http://www.hzemall.com/our_gallery/main_page.htm
hes in charge of this custom shop.. spend some time and see what he has already done in his portfolio.. That 1998 Lincoln is NOTHING SPECIAL yet it still cost $20k for everything.. custom audio stuff (when its done RIGHT) is VERY expensive.. Like just an amp rack.. NOTHING ELSE is $500 right there..

http://www.hzemall.com/our_gallery/installs/lincoln_town_car/cover.htm

Jeez.. that trunk right there (unless he good friends with the person that did it.. which I assume is obviously the case) probably cost (normally) about $2k for everything.. $4k including equipment.

It helps LOTS when you have friends that can do that stuff for you.. or you do it yourself.. but to walk into a custom audio shop (like that HZEMALL) would cost astronomical amounts of money to do show quality work.

·
Its not butter?!!!!1
4,968 Posts
Reactions: Joel

·
Registered
312 Posts
Graham_A_M said:
:lol:

WHAT!!!! If I could get THAT done for $600 I'd be laughing!

try adding a zero to the end of that.. if you want a full fiberglass trunk with a motorized amp rack.. that is SO much work to do a trunk like that.

Even with nothing motorized.. expect to pay $2-3k Plus the actual equipment..

I know this guy Tim Ballie from another forum..
http://www.hzemall.com/our_gallery/main_page.htm
hes in charge of this custom shop.. spend some time and see what he has already done in his portfolio.. That 1998 Lincoln is NOTHING SPECIAL yet it still cost $20k for everything.. custom audio stuff (when its done RIGHT) is VERY expensive.. Like just an amp rack.. NOTHING ELSE is $500 right there..

http://www.hzemall.com/our_gallery/installs/lincoln_town_car/cover.htm

Jeez.. that trunk right there (unless he good friends with the person that did it.. which I assume is obviously the case) probably cost (normally) about $2k for everything.. $4k including equipment.

It helps LOTS when you have friends that can do that stuff for you.. or you do it yourself.. but to walk into a custom audio shop (like that HZEMALL) would cost astronomical amounts of money to do show quality work.
I sure hope your joking.... You think that would cost $3000?? You my friend need to lay off the marijuana.
Mine was $75 for a 2 day DIY job. The $75 includes all the wood, a skilsaw to cut the wood with, fiberglass mats, resin, extra hardener, bondo, bondo spreaders, sanding pads, masking tape, tinfoil, literally everything. Everything was bought at Wal-Mart. I know mine is nothing like the above one, but I am 100% sure I could replicate the top one (minus motorized crap I didnt see if any exists) for $400-$500 tops and that would be spending my money very losely.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Wow I need to start charging more to do this crap.You can do it yourself just plan ahead .and take your time.I would offer to help but your too far away.

·
Registered
3,430 Posts
i'd have to agree with Graham_A_M, Dave Probably paid a friend to do it.. and got a deal on the labor.

me on the other hand, i got mine for free because i wanted to learn how to make them...

Please excuse the mess :) it doesnt look like that now. but yeah, the boxes are fiberglass, but i didnt want to paint them because i thought carpet would look a lot better.

its really not to hard, all you need is patience, creativity, and a lot of time.

·
Its not butter?!!!!1
4,968 Posts
Indrid said:
I sure hope your joking.... You think that would cost $3000?? You my friend need to lay off the marijuana.
Mine was $75 for a 2 day DIY job. The $75 includes all the wood, a skilsaw to cut the wood with, fiberglass mats, resin, extra hardener, bondo, bondo spreaders, sanding pads, masking tape, tinfoil, literally everything. Everything was bought at Wal-Mart. I know mine is nothing like the above one, but I am 100% sure I could replicate the top one (minus motorized crap I didnt see if any exists) for $400-$500 tops and that would be spending my money very losely.

LMAO.. I dont smoke Marijuana.. WTF??? I was quoted $2-$5k by actual install centers... for that same style of lay-out.. thats how I know.. your DIY job and the install in the back of the integra are QUITE a bit different I'd say.

DIY jobs are easy.. If I had the skill I'm sure I could do that same quality of work in the integra for about $500 after all the neccessary costs or resin and wood.. its no biggie.. but its not a DIY job that I was refferencing.. its having a 3rd party custom install shop do it for you.. see what I'm talking about?

I was going to get my whole back seats removed and have a completely custom trunk just like that.. fibreglass everything.. neon display glasses.. I was quoted $7300... (it was off the hook.. I'll try to find the pic) so yes.. I know from experience. I'm not joking that an install like that would cost $2k-$3k. If you really want to arguementitive: take that exact pic into a qualified 3rd party stereo install center.. and ask how much would that cost for your car if you still think I'm lying.
(thats exactly what I did using a different pic of this Mustang in question. when I went into this local car audio instal center):sigh:

I'm just telling you this from experience.. since Heather had a legitimit question.
:wave:

·
Registered
288 Posts
Indrid said:
figure out the number of hours you spent on that small sub enclosure and multiply your figure by ten. take this number of hours and just for argument's sake we'll figure a $50/hour custom shop rate. it adds up quick.

·
Banned
2,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
wow...Joel, can you make me two of those fiberglassed speaker enclosures? Those look great! That is practical and keeps the stuff out of the way so you can still use your trunk to put stuff in... I know I will never get anything done to my trunk like the first pic, but just wondered on the price.

Indrid, yours looks good too, but it would look better carpeted to me. I remember your post awhile back and thought about trying it, but I doubt I ever will. I will have to buy something probably.

Thanks Graham, there is no way I would pay that kind of money for trunk setup unless it was in a car worth more than the fiberglass...lol...

stoney004, dont worry, my new six will be just as hot and very rare too...just you wait and see

Heather

·
Its not butter?!!!!1
4,968 Posts
^ so it'll be a race then (LOL).. I'm fixing up your older blue car quite nicely too.. a ZE is next.. vertical doors and HID.. along with a full CF interior.. so let the race begin!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts