Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I HAVE A 1993 MAZDA MX6 V6 AND I WANNA GET SOME PRICES ON HOW MUCH IT WOULD COST FOR....

1. Ecu
2. have your engine port and polished with new pistons,rods, and have a valve job
3.throttle body and intake manifold

THANX

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
There a guy on probetalk.com that does the throttle body and intake manifold, his name is RawPower( ithink).

not sure about the price but everybody on there gets him to do it.

just a thought, but it can be done at a shp in your town. later

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
Ryguy said:
I HAVE A 1993 MAZDA MX6 V6 AND I WANNA GET SOME PRICES ON HOW MUCH IT WOULD COST FOR....

1. Ecu
2. have your engine port and polished with new pistons,rods, and have a valve job
3.throttle body and intake manifold

THANX
ECU: Look to pay $250 to $300. IMHO, not the best bang for the buck. At least not without massive mods to the motor that require extensive recalibrations. Slight changes to the timing (what most chips limit their performance mods to) will net little power, resulting in a very poor performance/cost ratio.

Performance rebuild: Thousands of $$$, likely. A full port and polish and valve job alone can be over a thousand. Throw in the new pistons, new rods and all the attendant machining and disassembly/assembly (if you get the shop to do this part), parts (gaskets etc), you're easily over $2000. Just out of curiosity, why new pistons and rods? Going forced induction? Want higher compression?

TB & Manifold: TB can be bored and a new plate made up at any local shop for maybe $120-$180. 65mm is highest practical limit. Good mod. Did it to mine and love it. Check my dyno page for the dyno results of one on another PGT.

As for the manifold, this one is tricky. The manifold is, by its design, hard to port. You can clean up the ends of the runners, gasket and even port match it. There's also tons of room for improvement in the throttle body flange area (where the upper and lower "long" runners and VRIS #2 "short" runners merge) in terms of material removal, casting flash removal and general clean-up. But it's difficult to get inside the manifold to clean up the longer part of the runners and the plenums (where quite a bit should really be done... If you've ever seen inside the KL03 manifold, you'll know what I mean.)

You can search for RAWPOWER on probetalk to see what he charges. IIRC, it's around $250 (search to be sure though.) A local speed shop can likely do it too but will also likely be more expensive. Whatever you do, I'd recommend maintaining the functionality of the VRIS system to maintain the engine's relatively flat torque curve.

I'm in the process of (slowly) porting an intake manifold I got from a 96 626 V6 with a Dremel and a selection of cutting, sanding and polishing bits. Despite the lack of power in the Dremel, the soft aluminum and effective cutting bits are making easy work of it. I'm still planning out how I want to do the aforementioned throttle body area (I've limited my work so far to clean-up and smoothing) but this is an example of how one can do this part himself with simple tools, saving a few bucks in the process. Of course, porting and whatnot is something of a science and it's easy to make things worse with overzealous or careless use of a cutter :D

·
Registered
3,092 Posts
Ryguy said:

THANX
$500 for basic head mods... this includes P&P, 3-angle valve seat, combustion chambers CC'd, and a few others.

$380 for 11:1 +.040" forged pistons
$960 for chro-moly rods
this is what i paid for my 4 banger... expect to pay more with the 6...

competition valves are $24 for exhaust, $20 for intake...each

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
Stage36 said:
$500 for basic head mods... this includes P&P, 3-angle valve seat, combustion chambers CC'd, and a few others.
I'd expect to pay close to twice this for the V6 since they'd be doing 2 heads (though each head has 3 sets of ports, not 4...)

Is $500 what you paid for headwork on your 4-pot S36?

·
Registered
3,092 Posts
Mike 94PGT said:

I'd expect to pay close to twice this for the V6 since they'd be doing 2 heads (though each head has 3 sets of ports, not 4...)

Is $500 what you paid for headwork on your 4-pot S36?
actually i have a friend who has a friend who owns a machine shop... so i paid $60 for the machine work alone.

and yes, expect to pay almost twice as much for 2 heads at a machine shop...paeco charges $750

1 - 7 of 7 Posts