Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All

So I braved something today that didn't work out. I tried to fix clear coat failure on the car.

I have a couple of inch size blemish on the trunk that was going to be guinea pig (Please note the the clear coat failure reference name in the is forum is going to be Ted! - clear coat takes too much time to type) . I have no experience at fixing Ted, but I tried my hand at research before hand.

After several days of googling - there are different phases of Ted failure. I took the car to a detailer to have them try to buff out the area in question. After a couple of different abrasives, they came back and told me that Ted was too deep to buff out and that my only option was to have the trunk repainted.

I was not happy to hear that my only option was to paint the entire trunk to get rid of Ted. Onto Google I went. Many forums say to repaint and others mention steps to sand down the offending Ted.

After a whack of research. I settled on 1200 Grit sand paper, water, Meguires Stage 2 Clear Cutting polish and an acrylic vehicle clear coat spray.

Steps
1) Section off and Sand down the offending area(s) down to the paint
2) Spray Acrylic Vehicle Spray in a couple of layers throughout the day
3) Wait 48 Hours for acrylic to dry and vent
4) Buff Meguires Polish to even out old and new Ted zones.

There are common sense things like sand in circles with light pressure.

So here is the offending area

Taped off the area

Started the Wet Sanding Process.

Unfortunately it didn't work as I had hoped. The damage was right down to the paint and even with the lightest of sanding I was never able to just get the Ted cracks smoothened out. I ended up sanding down past the paint. I did try applying some paint from a Mazda Touch Up Pen, of the same colour - let it dry then tried to sand that to even out for some acrylic spray. No Luck.

The end result is below: I cleaned up the area - no more cracks in the Ted/Clear Coat. But I did respray the area with the Acrylic Clear Coat Spray to protect it until I am ready to work on it again.

Again, I make no claim that I knew I could fix it, the damage to the clear coat was worse than I though and to the paint. I at least had the balls to try it.

Unless someone here who reads this has a great way to colour match this one area and the clear coat it - my only option now is have the trunk lid repainted.

I do have some other smaller areas on the hood of the car that are spotting like this - but the rest of the paint job is in very good shape and there is no rust on the body. I regularly wash polish and wax with an random orbital. Don't want to spend the money yet on a full paint job. The trunk and the hood are the two areas I would like to remove this issue from.

Thanks for read and please share any input.

·
Administrator
5,189 Posts
There are some places around that can mix up a batch of paint and put it in a spray can based on a colour sample you provide. Maybe that's an option?

·
Super Moderator
2,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi

Ya I checked around to see if there could be an option, but I wouldn't be able to apply it properly

I've booked the car in this Friday to get the trunk repainted. It will cost 300CDN to get it done.

I will be getting the hood done before next summer.

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
$300 for a respray isn't bad. I've seen quotes for $1000 for just a bumper. There is a cheaper option and that would be to vinyl wrap it. This gives you the advantage of choosing what colour you want.

Also, based on the pictures you showed of the damaged area, those detailers should've been able to tell you right from the get-go that it could not be fixed, without even trying to do so. When clear cracks like that, it has lifted off the paint and is in the "extremely thin" zone.

I could be wrong, but this also looks like damage caused by bird droppings being left there for too long.

·
Super Moderator
2,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Hi JoeyV

Interesting idea the vinyl wrap.

Ya 300 isn't bad at all. a couple of places quoted me 500 and up for a respray

The fellow was going to charge me around 400CDN + Tax for the job because he had to take the spoiler off. I haggled with him and said that I would be paying with cash (not under the table) and I wouldn't use debt or credit (due to the percentage they can charge) He said he could do it for $350 plus tax. I counter offered for 300 + Tax and he takes the spoiler off for free.

He agreed. Woot

I suspect as well that it was bird crap - the hood has the same, but small issues too. My Grandmother probably parked the car in the garage and only got around to dealing with the poop a couple months after the fact or when I washed it. Since I've had it for the last year. Poop gets washed off the day it lands.

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
It's a good thing you take care of the bird bombs as soon as the land. They are very acidic and burn through clear coat easily. It basically has the same effect as brake fluid. within 2 months, the clear coat is gone. If you have any questions pertaining to maintaining your paint, you can always check out my thread, there are plenty of questions that have already been answered. :tup: :)

http://www.mx6.com/forums/general-automotive/242852-detailing-questions-answers-thread.html

·
Registered
110 Posts
It's a good thing you take care of the bird bombs as soon as the land. They are very acidic and burn through clear coat easily. It basically has the same effect as brake fluid. within 2 months, the clear coat is gone. If you have any questions pertaining to maintaining your paint, you can always check out my thread, there are plenty of questions that have already been answered. :tup: :)

http://www.mx6.com/forums/general-automotive/242852-detailing-questions-answers-thread.html
Go with the vinyl. It blows your mind

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
Good haggling skills , perhaps you could negotiate a good price for both the hood and the trunk to be resprayed and have it sorted. On a funny side note guess what the T in my username stands for :lol:. Hope it works well and do post pics.

·
Super Moderator
2,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
TJVJR = Ted = Nice. Thats a hoot.

No painting the hood for now. It was a small squeeze, wife didn't completely see that repainting/dealing with Ted failure was considered car maintenance. But she does now. I have an awesome wife when it come down to me spending money on the car. But we do mind the budget and I have to save up for some up coming oil changes/filters and whatnot. So Hood will come around in the spring.

But stay tuned, I just dropped some decent coin on new Boston Acoustics Speakers and a new Kenwood Excelon amp. Gonna get those installed in the coming weeks and will post pics.

·
Super Moderator
2,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
JoeyV

Thanks for the advice - I've read your other link and I think you've posted some swell information and I do thank you for that. I refined how I maintain my 6 with your advice. Seriously, if you make it out to Victoria BC - Beer and Dinner is on me.

Below are the new paint job pix. He did a very good job and the paint transition between the rest of the body ( considering I didn't do panel matching) is great.

He said that he'd do the hood for the same price. All in all, very happy.

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
Fantastic result , you've got a good looking MX6.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
I was advised the paint used on the mx6 is the one application kind - meaning
the paint and shine are together. There is no 2nd application of clearcoat, and if
you try it yourself on your car, it doesn't work.

I got a PPG store to match my paint exactly by leaving them with the gas cover. They
mixed up a pint. I used the disposable small spray and bottle you can get at auto stores and Home Depot. Paint matched exactly. Very good for small jobs and very
economical.

·
Super Moderator
2,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
epxepx - thanks for the information.

I like that I idea for small repairs, I have a couple of scratches below my door - not sure what you call that runner along side of each door. That can would be worth looking into for bumper and things like that.

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
I was advised the paint used on the mx6 is the one application kind - meaning
the paint and shine are together. There is no 2nd application of clearcoat, and if
you try it yourself on your car, it doesn't work.
Be careful with this as it depends on the color. The Reds, Caribbean and Nassau blues were Single Stage or enamel paints, but the blacks, silvers, Kauai Blue and greens were all base + clear coat paints.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
mine is the off white, i think it is one stage. how did you find out that
specific information on the paints, it is very interesting.

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
I've owned 4 MX-6's, all different colors, and I am a detailer...part of my job is to know paints :p There are some websites, one in particular I use, which helps in determining if a certain paint is single stage or clear coated. Also, IIRC, the off-white MX-6's were in fact enamel paints. (I will try to post a link to the paint database I use once I get all my things sorted out on my new computer. Still in the "reinstalling and finding everything that was lost" stage :p

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
Here is the link to one of the databases I use.

Mazda Colour Codes

Here, you will find all paint codes, names of colors, paint types and production years. From this information at hand, and some outside information gathered in the detailing field, I can pretty much tell you what type any paint is.

A few simple rules of thumb are:

-if its a form of Metallic (Metallic, pearl or mica) made AFTER 1965-1970**, is has a clear coat (Unless it's an ENAMEL - mentioned later)
-If it's a bright* solid color from 1975-1999**, it's a single stage paint (Unless it's an ENAMEL - mentioned later)
-Dark solid colors can be Enamel, but are mostly clear coated
-Almost all paints are clear coated after 1999**
-Some colors are ENAMEL type paints which include both color AND clear together (again, outside information comes into play)
-All OEM paints after 2010 are water based and are clear coated (certain exceptions apply ex. certain matte finishes or custom paint jobs)

*Bright colors are: Yellows, Reds, Lime Greens, Oranges, some Purples (Lilacs)
**Years are approximate

Some exceptions may occur, but in most cases, these guidelines are pretty much good to go.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts