Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking about getting an LS model. I test drove one and it was great. I'm trying to find out more about the 94 year model and how reliable it is. This particular car that i test drove had its transmision relaced recently. Is this a good thing or is it a sigh of trouble?

Any help is apreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
806 Posts
tranny could be good and bad. one major reason for tranny failure is no maintenance. do you know what type of tranny was put in, reman'd or junkyard? my advice on trannies is take care of it and it will take care of you. as far as reliability search this forum as it has been covered a time or two.

·
Registered
475 Posts
was it an auto tranny or a manual? auto's on our cars are just pains in the ass as far as reliablity is concerned.
The LS is the model to go with if u are getting a 6.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's a 5 speed manual transmission. I dont know what kind of transmision was put in. The only thing I know about the trans. is that it has been replaced under waranty.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I was in the same boat as you are now about a year ago. During that time I spent about 3 months looking around dealers for an MX-6 LS 5-speed. I see that you live in Vancouver... I happen to live in Toronto. Check out the Automobile Consumer Coalition Website at http://www.carhelpcanada.com . The site itself isn't a big deal, but if you e-mail them with some questions, they will help you through your research process. They won't answer some questions because you'd have to be a member, but they will answer to some basics. They'll give you tips on buying a used car, but most importantly, they'll direct you to reputable shops to have the car you're really interested in checked out by reputable mechanics. To have the car checked out by reputable people is the key. Once I got the approval from my mechanic, I felt confident in my purchase. I've had the car for about a year now, and no major problems yet. I have had no problems with my 5-speed transmission, but as a preventive maintenance, I changed the fluid myself a few months ago. I do understand that a lot of people have had problems with auto trans though. I would say that for a '94 model, if there are a lot of dents, dings, scratches on the exterior or a lot of wear marks around the interior, that's usually an indication of a 'reckless' (for lack of a better word) previous owner -- that's my opinion!
Just be patient and get what you want!

Peter

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the help. BTW, Peter, the car looks like new inside, it has 2 prev. owners, both female.

Thanks to all again.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the help. BTW, Peter, the car looks like new inside, (and outside). Tt had 2 prev. owners, both female.

Thanks to all again.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
sebi-mx6 said:
...it has 2 prev. owners, both female.
Maybe this is why the tranny was replaced :)

Nah, just kidding. I just couldn't resist the remark. Actually there are many woman drivers that can ACTUALLY drive stick; I know several myself.

I would make sure there is no clunking/grinding feeling when turning, else you will be looking @ CV joint replacements. These were a problem on earlier 2nd gens. The ignition module in the distributor was somewhat weak on earilier models as well, so if you have trouble starting or it stalls this may be a sign. A new one will be stronger and correct the situation. Also check the rear calipers on the hand brake release cable. After these many years the lever on the caliper will stiffen up due to road crud contantly building up on it. Spray the lever joints with PB blaster and work'em loose if they are at all stiff. Then spray it with some white silcon spray like Aero-Lube to keep'em moving smooth and keep moisture out. Other then that the car is pretty sturdy and the engine/tranny should last very long if cared for. The engine, IMO, is one of the strongest points of this car. Take care, and enjoy!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts