Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone...
I saw some people on here that tinted their tails, and I liked the look it gave. I've decided to make a HOW TO for anyone's that's interested in doing the same.

:useless:

I KNOW HOW WE ALL LOOOVE PICS...so i've got pics for the steps. :tup:

First step is gathering supplies.

You will need:
exacto knife
masking tape
ruler
bucket
A can or two of NightShades Tinting Spray (i couldn't find it at auto parts store...ordered online)
A can of Clear Spray
Dish soap (preferably)
Scissors
Paint shop program to make Circles
1000, 1500, and 2000 grit sandpaper
marker or pencil.

Ok now on with the show...

Fill a bucket of water about halfway and mix in the soap. Get some good bubbles going. A few drops is enough. The reason for this is so that you can get the oils washed off of you hands. Believe it or not, our hands have pores and they produce sweat and oils. You don't want this to get on your tails because the paint won't stick.

Start the sanding with the 1000 grit sandpaper...you don't want to make it too smooth cuz then the paint will drip. The key is to get rid of the shinyness until it's like a pastel shade.

Repeat the process for the other tail.

Once you're done with the sanding, you need to get on Photo Shop or even Paint if you don't have the program, and make your circles. I don't remember the measurment i used, but i made 3 identical circles.

You want to mask off the part where you'll trace your circles.

I used layers of tape and placed a little black line to outline each end of the rectangle reflector that we have on the tails. This way i can center my cirlces on those lines.

Now you can start your cutting out with the exacto knife. take your time and be patient. the more time you put in, the better it will come out.

Peel off the tape and you'll have ur outter circles.

Take your time..make the cuts perfect

And the last circle...

Repeat the process for the other tail.

Once you've got that done...head to a well ventilated area. I was a dumbass and went to my basement. The nightshades has a VERY strong smell. It went all the way up to my attic, and my mom started complainin and being dramatic with some, "i can't breathe!" lol.

REMEMBER TO WAS YOUR HANDS! YOU DON'T WANT OIL ON THE LIGHTS.

Spread some thin coats on there...I did 2-3 and let it dry over night.

The next morning you can peel off the circles and apply some more coats. About another 2-3. Let it dry overnight again and......

Sand it down with the higher grit paper and apply a few coats of clear. This is to protect the tint from fading and give it that shiny to it.

It looks really good at night. Kinda looks like supra tails when lit up. I'll have to take night pics. But hope i inspired some people. :wave:

·
Registered
6,447 Posts
looks pretty good, i like the look when people mask off the reverse light as well, so it's all black then the white reverse light, but yours look great

·
Registered
6,447 Posts
SupaDupa6 said:
thanks kansas...those lights u bought from Stealth look soooo good.
no problem, yeah i am in love with my heads, but no hijacking...I wnat some night pics, they ought to look sick in the dark, they are incredibly sexy gives your car a very stealthy look, especially with your dark rims, i love your rims...

·
Registered
706 Posts
wow man your car has come a long way since the last time i saw you. lol. looks real good.. i kinda held back on the nightshades being that i had a few other things to take care of. now seeing how it came out for you.... i'm gonna do it and get it over with. karma!!

·
Registered
337 Posts
This is why we all come to MX6.com. It is the people who take the time to help others by giving advice and who take the time to do this type of write up.

I know it's easy for me to do this sort of thing, I have the facilities and products at my disposal, but karma to you for showing how others can do it at home. :tup:

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
SupaDupa6 said:
It looks really good at night. Kinda looks like supra tails when lit up. I'll have to take night pics. But hope i inspired some people. :wave:
HAWT i love it man....but yes, night pics are a must, do them NOW :)

·
Registered
763 Posts
looks really good....i am awaiting the night pics/more pics thanks

1 - 15 of 15 Posts