1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2,743 Posts

·
Registered
3,432 Posts
Trim rejuvenation

A little work can make a big improvement in the overall appearance of our "6"s. This post could be better served if positioned with our Appearance sub-forum.

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
wrong paint

you should use Flexible Bumper&Trim Paint;) ...rest isyour choice, either flat or gloss ...i think they sell it in black and silver onlY&Advance.

·
Registered
3,655 Posts
well this paint is like a plasticy coat that is flexible and water proof, so i think its dose the job :tup: :)

·
Registered
78 Posts
Mazda_MX6_Turbo said:
well this paint is like a plasticy coat that is flexible and water proof, so i think its dose the job :tup: :)

S.E.M. is the rattle can we use at our shop... works great, comes in gloss of flat, and a crazy amount of colors (not that youd need that) but SEM is good stuff... and instead of sandpaper just get a scotchbrite or a scuff pad. itll leave smaller scratches so you wont see them on the top coat

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
What is this SEM stuff and where do you get it? I've heard of and know where to get the Dupli-Color stuff, but never heard of this SEm stuff before.

G

·
Any automotive parts store should at least be able to order it.

When its light, I can get you the part number for gloss black if you want, its out in my shed and I can't find my flashlight :)

·
Banned
85 Posts
How did u put the trim pack on did u use some adhesive or how did u do that?

·
Registered
339 Posts
Yeah, I did this and it worked great. But now I have the "painted-my-trim-but didn't-paint-my-mudflaps" mod. I should really take the flaps off and paint them.

One day.

:urg:

·
Registered
330 Posts
rcoolb2002 said:
The first post needed to be moved. It is here:
http://www.mx6.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=77000

If i ever work on my mx6 again .. that is definitely happening to it.

~rc

Can I give you a little tip from my MKII Volkswagen days? Instead of painting the trim (which will peel off in time) clean the trim with 3M adhesive and wax remover, then apply peanut butter to the trim. Allow the peanut butter to sit for about 15-20 minutes (so that the oils soak into the plastic) then wash off. BAM, brand new looking trim.

This may sound crazy, but don't knock it until you try it. Here is a pic of one of the fender flares on my old volkswagen for reference.

Reactions: MesXco6rt

·
Registered
639 Posts
i used some old armor all on my trim when i wash it it makes it look like new

·
Registered
330 Posts
You have to be careful with armor all as it seals in heat and will eventually dry rot and crack your trim.

There is a product called forever black that works well too. Its a bottle of cleaner, then a conditioner that blackens (with a dye) the trim again.

·
Premium Member
5,011 Posts
Brandon002 said:
Can I give you a little tip from my MKII Volkswagen days? Instead of painting the trim (which will peel off in time) clean the trim with 3M adhesive and wax remover, then apply peanut butter to the trim. Allow the peanut butter to sit for about 15-20 minutes (so that the oils soak into the plastic) then wash off. BAM, brand new looking trim.
so how long does the peanut butter hold up a clean look??

·
Registered
7 Posts
I cleaned 16 years of white scum off my mudflap trim a few days ago, using steel wool and this peanut butter trick. It worked out nicely! Once again black, smooth to the touch, and they smell great! ;)

·
Registered
14 Posts
ok um, my 6 is white - any chance of penut butter staining/bleeding in wrong colour, just askijng since everyone seems to have black - about to get some pics done so want her to looke her best :p

1 - 20 of 30 Posts