Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

I'm trying to diagnose my fuel usage problems, but can't find how to read the error messages on Aus MX6's who do not have engine lights. All the messages I've found refer to the engine light and I've searched extensively. Could someone please point out to me what points I need to use the multimeter on to get the errors codes? Thanks!

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Anyone? I need this info pretty badly, car is burning LOADS of fuel and idling badly intermittantly.

·
Premium Member
3,053 Posts
PeterD or rodhog might know, I cant help ya sorry

·
Registered
2,802 Posts
u need to hook up some sort of led to find out the codes.
this is a bit from a file that i have that tells u how to do it and wat the codes are. i dont know if its all there but it seems to be ok (ive never used it):

What you will need: Piece of wire that is stripped on both ends.

Instructions for the 2.2L engine:

-Make sure the engine is off and the key is out of the ignition.
-Locate the loose single wire harness near the driver's side strut tower. The wire should be red.
This connector is called the self-test input connector (STI).
-Use the piece of wire to connect this STI connector to ground (negative battery terminal works well).
-Turn the key to the "ON" position, but do not start the engine.
-Codes are displayed as flashes of the CEL with pauses between digits. If the code has two digits the
flashes for the first digit are slightly longer than for the second digit. If there are multiple
codes in the ECA, they are separated by a slightly longer pause. Codes are displayed from lowest
number to highest, then repeated.
-After repairing a malfunctioning sensor, you need to clear the ECA's memory. Do this by disconnecting
the negative battery cable and holding down the brake pedal for at least five seconds.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

THE CODES

1989 ALL
Code Sensor or Description
01 Ignition Pulse
02 Crankshaft Position Sensor (CPS)
03 Cylinder Identification Sensor A
04 Cylinder Identification Sensor B
05 Knock Sensor or Knock Control Unit
08 Vane Airflow Signal (VAFSIG)
09 Engine Coolant Temperature Sensor (ECT)
10 Vane Air Temperature Sensor (VAT)
12 Throttle Position Sensor (TP)
14 Barometric Pressure Sensor (BP)
15 EGO Sensor (EGO)
16 EGR Valve Position Sensor (EVP)
25 Pressure Regulator Control
26 Canister Purge Solenoid (CANP)
28 EGR Control Solenoid Valve (EGRC)
29 EGR Vent Solenoid Vavle (EGRV)
34 Idle Speed Control Solenoid Valve (ISC)
42 Turbocharger Boost Control Solenoid Valve (BOOST)

if u want the full file just msg me with ur email and ill email it to u.

BennyT

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Are you supposed to hook up the LED or volt meter between the STI connector the negative? If YES, i tried that and just got a constant 12volts .. does that mean everything is ok and no errors are being reported?

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
DarkSlayer said:
u need to hook up some sort of led to find out the codes.
this is a bit from a file that i have that tells u how to do it and wat the codes are. i dont know if its all there but it seems to be ok (ive never used it):

What you will need: Piece of wire that is stripped on both ends.

Instructions for the 2.2L engine:

-Make sure the engine is off and the key is out of the ignition.
-Locate the loose single wire harness near the driver's side strut tower. The wire should be red.
This connector is called the self-test input connector (STI).
-Use the piece of wire to connect this STI connector to ground (negative battery terminal works well).
-Turn the key to the "ON" position, but do not start the engine.
-Codes are displayed as flashes of the CEL with pauses between digits. If the code has two digits the
flashes for the first digit are slightly longer than for the second digit. If there are multiple
codes in the ECA, they are separated by a slightly longer pause. Codes are displayed from lowest
number to highest, then repeated.
-After repairing a malfunctioning sensor, you need to clear the ECA's memory. Do this by disconnecting
the negative battery cable and holding down the brake pedal for at least five seconds.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

THE CODES

1989 ALL
Code Sensor or Description
01 Ignition Pulse
02 Crankshaft Position Sensor (CPS)
03 Cylinder Identification Sensor A
04 Cylinder Identification Sensor B
05 Knock Sensor or Knock Control Unit
08 Vane Airflow Signal (VAFSIG)
09 Engine Coolant Temperature Sensor (ECT)
10 Vane Air Temperature Sensor (VAT)
12 Throttle Position Sensor (TP)
14 Barometric Pressure Sensor (BP)
15 EGO Sensor (EGO)
16 EGR Valve Position Sensor (EVP)
25 Pressure Regulator Control
26 Canister Purge Solenoid (CANP)
28 EGR Control Solenoid Valve (EGRC)
29 EGR Vent Solenoid Vavle (EGRV)
34 Idle Speed Control Solenoid Valve (ISC)
42 Turbocharger Boost Control Solenoid Valve (BOOST)

if u want the full file just msg me with ur email and ill email it to u.

BennyT
sorry to bring up this old thread but I do not have a red wire around the driver's side strut. I do have one on the other side which has a green plug. I followed the instruction and nothing seems to be happening.

either I got the wrong wire or the car does not have any error...

can anyone locate the exact wire for me please? appreciate it...

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
if I connect the red wire on the passenger site with green plug nothing happenes, there is another green plug with 6 wires or 5 and there is a red in it hehe I did that but cooked the piece of wire that i had to connect the red wire to GND hehe

well there is nothing on the drivers side in my 89 MX6 so I assume the above information is not correct for all models. can someone please confirm it? Ta!

·
Registered
4,334 Posts
Yea, it's passenger side for us aussies, and you need to hook up an LED to a plug near there as we don't have a CEL (I think it is that 6 plug green one), as well as ground the green wire.I don't know terminals to join on which plug, but someone will know. You generally can't use a voltmeter as the time between the flashing is so fast the voltmeter isn't going to pick it up. Especially the long vs short flashes.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
cool, i thought so cause no warning or flashing light is being displayed in the car.

So do you know or does anyone know where to connect the LED and exactly what I need to do?

I am sure few of you guys out there must know it cause Ive seen around in here people discussing their error codes etc etc...so I hope someone out there knows how to do this because the above information is totally useless...

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
oki someone mentioend we need to connect a led as well, but no one said where exactly?

please guys anyone know and done it before and willing to share some info with few of us who like to know?

lol....kindly appreciated.....

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
thanks but the link doesnt work for me. I am logged in to ezboard.com but the link is not coming up...:p

it needs some access password or something.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts