Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,584 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi All

Here is a very simple How To: Have LED's with NO Hyper Flash.

This is specific so that you do not have to put ANY resistor that bridge the wires to usually avoid the fast flash. I did try looking for a replacement low amperage LED replacement switcher for out cars, and no one makes them.

What you do loose is the bulb out function that this transistor clipping does. I personally don't care....

This will work on MX3/MX6/626/Probes.

This works on my car, and I did load up the brake lights and rear turning lights with LED's and my corners, works like a charm!!

Disclaimer: This is a mod for your car, and I accept no responsibility if you mess up and electrocute or hurt yourself. Lets just say if you hurt yourself, then by the Darwinian standards you're not a winner :)

Tools:

- Bendy Back
- Needle nose pliers
- Small Pointy scissors
- Small tweezers

Step 1:

- Find this Signal Flasher Relay under the drivers side dash right near the Hood Release
- There will be 3 relay's under there, this is the middle one.
- You can wiggle it around and give it a bit of a yank and it will come loose.

If you grabbed the right one, you will have this one

Step 2

- Take the bottom protective cover off (The tabs hold the bottom in place)
- Use the needle nose pliers to pull the circuit board, then you will have the below.

Step 3

- Here is where you look for the little black transistor and clip the outermost/first leg with the scissors. Picture below will show you which one to clip/cut
- You will notice that I bent the bottom of the clipped leg back

Step 4

- Put all back together and install LED lights in your corners or rear tail lights. And sit back and enjoy

·
Registered
493 Posts
Pfffft... I gave you girls the holy grail of hyper-flash avoidance..... and no comments :p
Draw an arrow to show which one to clip and ill give ya some credit! :tup:

·
Super Moderator
2,156 Posts
So your telling me I just have to clip a single connection and when I run leds in my blinkers... no super flash mod?

Its all the rage... with the nissen skid racers!

So, what's the catch?

·
Super Moderator
2,584 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Can you elaborate on what that means? What is the bulb out function?
PaulG, you know when you look at the turn signal bulb, and it has two filaments? When one of the filaments burns out, it triggers the hyper-flash - bulb out warning because the amp load of the bulb changes.

The clipping of the transistor basically makes the whole system run with out the hyperflash/bulb-out warning if a bulb dies.

·
Super Moderator
2,156 Posts
Or the return of pismoless.... now that's a throw back.

·
Super Moderator
2,584 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Neat find soon to be renamed "ThreePedalWarrior" ;) thanks broski

Just did this to 626 & MX6 :D

Actually Andy, TwoPedalWarrior can stay. Why you ask? Even when the manual swap is done and I have a third pedal... well... brakes are for sissies :)

That is why the name will stay

Or the return of pismoless.... now that's a throw back.

Ya pismoless, that name actually reaches back to the 90's for me, that was my handle of dial up BBSs'

·
Super Moderator
2,584 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I just tried this.. If it doesn't work... Well then

Don't flex the transistor back too far One of my friends did that while clipping that one leg, and made a hairline crack in one of the legs he didn't see. He re did it on another box and it worked ok

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
It sure worked for me! (A good year later...)

Thanks a bunch man! I have tried adding the resistors to the line, no difference. This trick worked like a charm. One of my "electronically inclined" friends has expressed concerned about this move, saying that you don't want to physically alter things inside a relay box... As in, there might be extra stress on other components and elements within the flasher box, might lead to some problems...

I would think the current through the unit is not strong enough to cause any kind of trouble.

Anyways, thanks again!

·
Registered
9,653 Posts
Oh yah, I forgot aobut this, I did try it. and it did work.

It was awesome. possibly the awesomeest mod I ever done.

I had dummy lights riged up before this to stop the hyper flash, and planned to wire up resistor blocks.. and then I seen this and BAM, Rocking Solid Slow LED flashers with no extra crap wired in, I cut the old crap off and im no longer ghetto with the flashers as seen in my avatar<-------------

1 - 20 of 27 Posts