Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i had a Alpine CDA 7864(with 2 preout) on my car, and i had brought a pair of pionner 8" from my friend also come with a 4X25W sony amp, but doesn't have a Low or High Pass on it. Should i get a new 2 ch amp with low P on it? And, If i want to install my Amp, how do i install it to my 94, MX6. do i need to open any hole for the power cable go though? and which Cable should i hook up first, because i don't know anything about the install? someone please show me how to install a Amp for my 2 8" pionner sub.

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
First disconnect battery.

On any amplifier there are three important connections:

1st is power
2nd is remote turn on
3rd is grounding

Find a good place to connect the ground wire first. A bare metal connection to the car's chassis is best. Usually a black wire.

Then I would run the remote turn on (sends signal for your amp to turn on when head unit is turned on). You will need to run it from the back of your head unit to the amp. Usually a blue wire.

Next connect the power cable. I am not familiar with what the '94 firewall looks like but you want to run the power cable through it. It may already have a hole or it may require you to drill one. Hook it up to the positive battery terminal. You will want a fuse in the cable close to the battery. Usually a red wire.

Then run a set of RCA cables from the pre-out to the amp. Since you have two sets of pre-outs (1 set for front, 1 set for rear) you will probably want to hook up RCA's to pre-outs for rear signal. Since it is a 4-channel amp, you will probably want to hook the RCAs up to the 1st and 2nd channel inputs on the amp. Then add speaker wires from amp to your subs and viola! If you don't have crossover or low pass then I would keep the amp turned down or you will get distortion. Check out http://www.crutchfield.com for info on the different ways to run speaker wire to your subs like bridging, parallel wiring or series wiring. You'll be glad you did.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
there's a hole in the firewall right above the drivers foot well, with a rubber grommet in it.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
you will have to have a LP filter on subwoofers, good thing is your CDA-7864 has one (i used to have that deck).

As for the amplifier, it is a 4-channel so you will need to know if you can bridge the 4-channels into 2 channel mode ( which should make about 75w per channel into a 4 ohm load) , and lastly make sure it is 4-ohm speakers that you have, if not look for a new amp, I suggest an Alpine MRV-100M - it retails for $199 and is a very nice little mono-block amp!!!

-Scuba-

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
also if you have to drill your own hole in the firewall, make sure you put a grommet in the hole when you are finished!! , I have seen way to many power wires catch on fire and burn the carpet all the way to the rear... plus leaves a stink-ass smell for a week!!!

-Scuba-

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Heres my wiring diagram. Always put you power wires down one side of the car and you speaker, line level wires on the otherside.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts