9,228 Posts
Great info, Im thinkin of getting rid of my CAI and doing that

Nice work.
I guess since you've done this before its easy
I see the cars coming along too.....

·
Registered
3,655 Posts
yea i sent the car to the shop today, ill be getting it back in a week, so 1st genners watch out. :D

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
I had this set up a few years back and I think it led to the demise of my engine. No one seems to realize when it rains or you go into car washes and things like that the air filter will be swamped with h2o and the engine will suck all of the it in, say bye bye rings, pistons, and more because water is not a good substitute for oil. If you have a smaller hole and have it more to the rear of the opening under the scoop it may work out better. I just removed mine all together. But on the upside man does it help increase the power, it really makes a big difference!!

·
Premium Member
2,999 Posts
Looks good Rami. Nice step by step.

1FIERCEGT does have a point about water, however I wouldnt go as far as saying/implying that ANY water ingested will lead to engine failure. Fact is, most engines will ingest water at some time in their life. Its a matter of how much and how soon(esp the how much part).

Its pretty difficult to swamp a motor with this setup. You would need a large volume of water to: enter the intake, flow to the filter, completely submerge it without benefit of being in a box so the water doesnt just run off.(think ram-air T/A Firebirds).

Still maybe a fine screen would be a good addition.

Gavin

·
Registered
737 Posts
Good step-by-step thread. I used a grease pencil to mark mine. I would also to those who don't have a dremel tool, recommend using a jigsaw. I only used 1 blade and it went very fast.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
once its all painted up it should look nice...

i have one question though...what did your neighbors think when you started grinding away on the top of your hood lol

-Eric

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
as for rain and stuff, you can buy sheilds that go over the top of the cone filter, so water will hit the sheild and run off. or you can just stuff a peice of foam in there when it rains I plan on making a sheild thats on a track mounted on the underside of the scoop so when its ranning I can just pull the sheild out to close off the scoop and when its not ranning I can just push the sheild back to allow for better flow. But not that much water would get in there anyway, I have the other kind of Nissan 300zx hood scoop, you know the one where it has a vent in the back with a scoop in the front, and even with this one not too much water gets in. Also K&N filters are coated in oil which would help to keep water from passing through the filter, it'll probley just hit the filter then beed off, the few droplets that may get in will more than likly evaporate in the intake tract before it even comes close to getting to the cylinders. Like the other guy said, you would have to submerge the air filter under water and rev the engine to actually suck in enough water to ruin the engine.

Methman

·
Premium Member
4,973 Posts
Methman said:
as for rain and stuff, you can buy sheilds that go over the top of the cone filter, so water will hit the sheild and run off.
Wouldn't that defeat the purpose of the hood scoop?

·
Registered
514 Posts
Panther37 said:
Yep, i say if it comes stock on a car then verry little rain on none must be able to get in to the intake system

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
1FIERCEGT said:
I had this set up a few years back and I think it led to the demise of my engine. No one seems to realize when it rains or you go into car washes and things like that the air filter will be swamped with h2o and the engine will suck all of the it in, say bye bye rings, pistons, and more because water is not a good substitute for oil. If you have a smaller hole and have it more to the rear of the opening under the scoop it may work out better. I just removed mine all together. But on the upside man does it help increase the power, it really makes a big difference!!
Unless large amounts are ingested by the engine I wouldnt worry to much. The filter will soak up most of it and the rest may just cause bogging.

For Hydro-lock to occur there has to be enough water taken in on the intake stroke so that when the compression strokes begins, all the water (water doesn't compress well like most liquids) pushes back against the piston causing bent rods, etc more often then not.

And I wouldn't be putting oil in my intake :E lol.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Panther37 said:
Mabey but only when it rains, You remove it when its sunny. Thats why I said Im going to try and design a sheild thats on a track right on the underside of the scoop, when its raning pull the sheild out so it will cover the scoop (from underneith the hood) then when its not raning I can just push the sheild back so the scoop will be uncovered and can work as normal.

scoop__________
sheild . . . . . . . . . ___________ (when its not raining)
Air Filter <<<<<<

Scoop__________
Sheild___________ (when it is raining)
Air filter<<<<<<<<<

"And I wouldn't be putting oil in my intake lol."
End Quote

Yeah shannon. Im that dumb :rolleyes: Do you even own a K&N filter? If you do what is that red stuff you spray on it after every time you clean it....hmmmm could it be oil? I mean do you seriously think I would be so dumb as to dump a bottle of oil in my intake? :rolleyes:

[All I did was fix the drawing, P37]

·
Premium Member
4,973 Posts
shannonlujan said:
And I wouldn't be putting oil in my intake :E lol.
Methman said:
Yeah shannon. Im that dumb :rolleyes: Do you even own a K&N filter? If you do what is that red stuff you spray on it after every time you clean it....hmmmm could it be oil? I mean do you seriously think I would be so dumb as to dump a bottle of oil in my intake? :rolleyes:
This seams harsh but wait, shannonjulan forgot to properly quote...
1FIERCEGT said:
No one seems to realize when it rains or you go into car washes and things like that the air filter will be swamped with h2o and the engine will suck all of the it in, say bye bye rings, pistons, and more because water is not a good substitute for oil.
Ahh, and there's where the joke lies. He had me fooled for a sec there. Please thank Loktai for helping me with this one.

·
Registered
3,655 Posts
well thats y i said, when it rains i shove a rag in the scoop, ive dont it before and will do it again, once i even forgot to plug the scoop and it rained hard, after i got back home, i poped the hood to check on the scoop, it was dry as hell.

i aslo plug the scoop in wehn i wash the car, casue u will have more chances of spraying water in the scoop if your not carefull, especially if your using a water hose, u dont wanna spray water in there directly.

there are some pics that i will take when i get the car back from the shop, casue there is a part at the front the scoop it is raised up, and water wont go in it, i mean thats how the scoop was exhactly put in on the 300zx it self, no screen sheild and no water sheild, the scoop was design in a way to prevent that water to get in, but i still like to put a rag up in there when it rains cause i say just do it dont wanna get anything wet, even tho not much stuff or any will get wet.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Gosh I was just kidding about the whole oil thing. I thought my smiley would've given it a playful connotation. Sorry guys, sorry Meth I meant no harm it was just a joke. :E

Check out how Pontiac does their ram air systems and how they keep water out. Check corvette's to.

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
Okay I may have exagerated bit about the amount of water getting pulled in but it can happen. Over time it's not a good idea to be getting water into the intake system. If I'm wrong I'll just stop driving cause it's called an air intake for a reason not water and air intake. Water and gas and air not the ideal mixture for combustion! Think about it the water that gets on the filter element will be sucked in.

·
Registered
737 Posts
I was wondering....What do you guys think about this. Our turbos are hot, all the time. Would it be possible that if a little water gets sucked in the intake it might evaporate due to the hot turbo? I was just wondering everyones opinion about this. Also, if it did pass the turbo, could'nt it get lost in the bottom end of the intercooler? Maybe stuck in there until it does evaporate. I know if it was to evaporate it's still moisture in the motor, but the atmosphere has moisture. Any ideas on this?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts